UK Member Please Say HI

Yes she can eat and drink well enough. It looks like the top beak has gone kind of like a parrot and the bottom is straight. I'm going to see if maybe I can trim it a little. I'm going to let her settle in first. She a little flighty!

She has look about her that she might be flighty! :lol:

That’s so sad! Hope you’re ok!
Thanks Jemima, I am sad but that is life as a chicken owner. On the good side I now have a broody hatch about to start! I managed to pop 5 of my murdered Araucana eggs (not sure what the dad will be though so hopefully some easter eggers although 25% chance it is the Araucana roo) and a few of the dead silkies eggs into my neighbours incubator and now my other silkie has cleverly gone broody. I've just moved her into the broody coop and she has settled back onto some eggs in there. All being well I'll pop the eggs that are in the 'bator under her tomorrow evening. I actually can't remember when it all happened - gosh just looked and that was 10 days ago so we are half way though already, or less as they seem to only go about 19 days I find for those breeds! Poor Doris may get a shock that they arrive so early bless her!

Hope everyone is well, been very awol between new job and then 2 weeks of school holidays with bad weather, no money waiting for first pay day and a cranky 4 year old! Back to school tomorrow - can't wait!!!

Lol @PouleChick your life sounds fascinating! Keep us posted with the egg updates!

My silver partridge Pekin Bantam has gone ridiculously broody, no cockerel and I don’t want to hatch eggs so I’m trying to break her but she’s so stubborn. Been a week of cold baths and a dog crate on bricks but she’s still determined. I’ve been letting her sleep in the coop at night so maybe that’s the problem. I’m going to leave her in the cage tonight outside as I don’t have room in the coop. Hope she’s ok! If this doesn’t work I’m just going to let her be broody and bring her out twice a day to eat. Pffffrt!!!!! I thought chickens were going to be easy!

I wish my new broody was a bit more like yours Jemima! Mine has taken every afternoon off since I gave her some eggs (3 days ago)...:hmm I read somewhere that it needn't be fatal so I'm just going with it and am interested to see what results from this part-time incubation :idunnoThere are wild pheasants round here and I guess they're off their nests for much longer than 30 mins, i.e. as long as it takes mum to fuel up, and heritage breeds like mine need to preserve their instincts as well as / rather than their looks I think. If she's right we'll have another generation, if not, we won't!

Back
Top Bottom