UK Member Please Say HI

I'm working, first summer in five years after working in education. I've got to say I'm not happy right now, the money is better but oh my am I missing that time!

Still I've got a week off at the end of the summer nothing planned yet but will involve uni shopping for my eldest two and some fun days out for my youngest.

Hey guys, how you been?
I may be interested in adopting/buying a "special needs" hen.

First thought would be an Ex-battery, but I am unable to do that because I have other hens too, which would probably be stressful for the new hen.

I was thinking a crossbeak or maybe a hen with a deformity/amputation, as they can usually act "normal" and mix with other healthy hens. They also can usually be quite independent, apart from that little bit of extra work they require, eg. Beak trimming.

I want to do this because I'd love that rewarding feeling of giving a home to a hen who really needs it. I feel that I'm experienced enough to do the extra work that a special hen may need.

I'm not going ro rush into it, and will make sure that I'm prepared enough, and that I can definitely do it. But I was wondering:
  • Am I missing something in my plan?
  • What sort of "special needs" would you suggest to me? Eg. Crossbeak, amputee, etc
  • Do you know any rescues or something that allow you to adopt such hens?
Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post!

Hello!
I have one gorgeous pure mottled pekin (bantam cochin) boy. He's very sweet and he makes me laugh so much. His birthday was on tge 27th of May. I love him so much, but I'm unable to keep roosters where I live. He's an idiot, but is always there to protect his girlfriend/boyfriend (if I confirm my suspicions that they are also male, you can buy the bearded one too).

In the photos, he's the one with the big wattles.

I'll start by saying £15, but if you want him we can discuss further.
I am located in Essex, England.

Attachments

• 20220901_171546_HDR.jpg
    20220901_171546_HDR.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220831_122054_HDR.jpg
    20220831_122054_HDR.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220901_171553_HDR.jpg
    20220901_171553_HDR.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 1

Back