UK Member Please Say HI

Greetings :) I am in the west midlands. I picked up 4 nice hens at the weekend and am already enjoying lovely poached eggs on toast. I'm pretty new to this game, but have kept ferrets, lurchers and a goldfish before (the goldfish was called Bob, cus he kept saying it through the glass at me). ;) The first night they didn't wanna go into the coop but have settled now and go in and out quite freely. If this goes alright the missis might agree to keeping a few quails... but time will tell. here's a pic
Hi :welcome & the thread! Lovely birds you have there and I love the colour of your coop! I'm into nice bright colours too and have mine painted pink :D Great to hear you are enjoying eggs already, you really can't beat fresh eggs :highfive: Quail are lovely little birds to keep. I had some cortunix but the dog had other ideas about them! I had to rehome them in the end as she just could not leave them alone. Good luck on your new ventures and enjoy BYC :frow

@Yorkshire Coop

Hi Kim and many congrats on becoming a moderator!
bow.gif

I hope there are going to be some special dispensations for us Brits as a result..... you might have to fight GG's corner for her when she next upsets the American members on the runner duck thread!!!

Yes, it was total bliss last night after weeks of wedging myself on hands and knees in the doorway of that little coop and cursing as I tried to lever those little rat bags out of the back corner and catch them before they ran back. Can't believe I haven't maimed some of them as I was becoming more rough as the days and weeks went on and my frustration grew! They are tough little things though and thankfully all are doing very well. Let's just hope last night wasn't a fluke because I will be to take away in a straight jacket if they don't go to bed again tonight.

Candled my large eggs yesterday and all 6 look like they are developing, but to be honest apart from being able to tell they aren't clear, I haven't a clue..... maybe it's just that I don't have a good enough torch or blue shells are harder to see. People talk about blood rings and such.... but all I can see is that it is dark instead of being translucent....I'll let the broody take care of things from there in.

It's drying up out there now so I need to head out and get some work done.

Best wishes

Barbara

Thanks Yorkshire coop and Barbara.
I have just been feeding them some fresh maggots from the tackle shop by hand. They have wolfed them down but the aim is to get them used to me being close to them. the big blue one is a bit flighty but the 2 gingers come freely to hand. The barred rock is clever, and watches to see if anything happens to the 2 gingers.... then comes to hand
wink.png

The coop was bought as a present for me, but the run is all from reclaimed wood off an abandoned building site
cool.png

It can be easily moved around "steptoe's yard" as the missis calls it, to give em fresh ground to scratch.

Learning quite a bit off here already
thumbsup.gif

Skippy

we're getting there slowly

@Yorkshire Coop Hi Kim and many congrats on becoming a moderator!:bow I hope there are going to be some special dispensations for us Brits as a result..... you might have to fight GG's corner for her when she next upsets the American members on the runner duck thread!!! Yes, it was total bliss last night after weeks of wedging myself on hands and knees in the doorway of that little coop and cursing as I tried to lever those little rat bags out of the back corner and catch them before they ran back. Can't believe I haven't maimed some of them as I was becoming more rough as the days and weeks went on and my frustration grew! They are tough little things though and thankfully all are doing very well. Let's just hope last night wasn't a fluke because I will be to take away in a straight jacket if they don't go to bed again tonight. Candled my large eggs yesterday and all 6 look like they are developing, but to be honest apart from being able to tell they aren't clear, I haven't a clue..... maybe it's just that I don't have a good enough torch or blue shells are harder to see. People talk about blood rings and such.... but all I can see is that it is dark instead of being translucent....I'll let the broody take care of things from there in. It's drying up out there now so I need to head out and get some work done. Best wishes Barbara
@rebrascora Hi Barbara :D Thank you so much for the congrats on becoming a mod :hugs First day today so lots to take in and get my head round! Have you retired the ladle? Is it back in the kitchen? :gig Maybe not yet so you don't jinx things! Your eggs sound like they are coming on well, as you say they don't look clear so something is happening. Don't a lot of broody hens realise when they have quit and kick them out of the nest? Clever thing is nature. I'm keeping everything crossed that those naughty birdies head to bed tonight :fl Need to keep you sane!
Thanks Yorkshire coop and Barbara. I have just been feeding them some fresh maggots from the tackle shop by hand. They have wolfed them down but the aim is to get them used to me being close to them. the big blue one is a bit flighty but the 2 gingers come freely to hand. The barred rock is clever, and watches to see if anything happens to the 2 gingers.... then comes to hand ;) The coop was bought as a present for me, but the run is all from reclaimed wood off an abandoned building site :cool: It can be easily moved around "steptoe's yard" as the missis calls it, to give em fresh ground to scratch. Learning quite a bit off here already :thumbsup Skippy we're getting there slowly
Your going to fit right in here :D Both Barbara and I love to use reuse stuff!! I've been known to head off down the street with the barrow to collect things. The other half called me steptoe too! Sounds like you have a fab plan for gaining their trust, food is always the way to their hearts! Good luck and a great pic above.

Last edited:
@Yorkshire Coop

Hi Kim

No men in white coats required for me last night thank goodness!! Oh what bliss!
Don't think I want to use that little coop as a broody pen again though, at least not unless I put a broody in there that can marshall her chicks and take them to bed.... like Tasha.... but can't see me ever wanting to remove Tasha from the main flock, so will have to find another use for this. Maybe a small breeding pen or grow out for the male pekin chicks.

I can imagine moderating on a forum this size must be a pretty comprehensive and time consuming job. Hope it doesn't mean you have less time for riding.
Ian and I went out on Archie and Zak again last night. There has been a lot of forestry work in the woods and some of the routes have become impassable, so it was a bit of a scouting expedition.. We found a couple of small logs and some ditches to jump and Ian is going back today to cut back some of the places where branches are closing in on the track and perhaps pull some other logs out onto the track or at the side, so that there is a jumping option. Zak did very well though and didn't hesitate at the logs so I think Ian was quite pleased with him.

Think that is all my news for now.

Regards

Barbara

@Chell280181

Hi and welcome from me too.

I see from your other posts that you have bantams, and mostly pekins by the look of them. Great to hear that you are overcoming your fear and learning to love them. . Kim (Yorkshire Coop) was the same I believe and now she is totally addicted, so be warned, chicken keeping is shockingly addictive. Pekins make lovely pets and a great way for your children to learn about egg production and animal welfare and responsibility. I suppose you still have a bit longer to wait for your first eggs.... I imagine the children will be so excited about that.... actually it's really exciting for us adults too!!! Waiting for first eggs is a killer though!

Good luck with them and best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom