UK Member Please Say HI

I've added some vitamins and electrolytes and they seem to be perking up a bit now, not as much spinning or head lolling. Managed to find a homemade electrolyte recipe on the Internet as well so I've put some outside for my older hens as a couple of them are panting.

@Yorkshire Coop

Hi Kim

Well, this morning when I checked, all but one of the pekins were out and dry but unfortunately one was dead and squashed in the bottom of the nest, so 7 live chicks and one still to go, although I thought there might be one clear when I candled them so may have to check that later, but taking no harm giving it more time at the moment. The other, Margo, has large fowl olive eggers and two were hatched.. One of them had fallen out of the nest (I make my broody nests in old drawers and it was running around the outside squawking it's head off when I got there his morning. What a relief to have it safely tucked under Margo and quiet again! These two are both first time broodies, so didn't want to give them anything special. The olive eggers are welsummer/legbar crosses from my own hens. Most of the pekins are dark which I'm quite happy about as I'm getting bored with lavender.... too many all alike.... and wanted some of Silvie's offspring....but crossed to the lavender roo, I'm not sure what the result should be....no doubt I will see as they develop.

Absolutely scorching here and I've been busy working up on scaffolding trying to remove a colony of bees from someone's roof. this morning but too hot to continue as I was feeling heady....will go back this evening about 9pm when it's cooler, after I've finished working with Zak.

Talking of which, I'm pleased to report that I had a much better session with him in the arena last night. Went into it with very low expectations and targets and made a real effort not to rush things or get frustrated. It paid off and I really felt like he was trying for me rather than just saying NO. He also only very occasionally knocked them with his feet, whereas previously,he hit them almost every time, even poles on the ground, so it seemed like he was concentrating more on what he was doing rather than looking for a way to evade it.. Flies were horrendous but we got finished in half an hour and he was back in the field. I know Ian would have liked me to push him to achieve more, but I called it a day because it's no good making it an ordeal for him every time. and I have an idea of what I need to work on tonight, so feeling a lot more positive.....long way to go though!

Must head out into the heat again and check on those chicks again and deal with a box of bees that I vacuumed out of that roof!....All fun and games!! .

Well that final pekin egg was abandoned and turned out to be an early quitter when I cracked it open. Margo has hatched 4 of her 6 and when I went up this evening there had been some mix and matching of chicks and Margo had 2 pekins and 2 olive eggers and the other hen (granddaughter of Margo) who is now going to need a name I suppose, had all the others and had moved off her nest. Margo was standing up off her eggs that hadn't hatched and they weren't overly warm, so I doubt they will hatch now but I have left her with them and moved them both into separate quarters in the sideboard, which has just been vacated by Tasha and her chicks for overnight accommodation in the nick of time. She has, at long last, taken them up onto the roost.
I'm not sure how good a mother Margo is going to be.... she seems a bit haphazard.... but her granddaughter appears to be quite keen to take over the job of mothering hers too, if she's not up for it. I've made sure they each have the correct chicks for tonight though and will see how it goes tomorrow.

Didn't get any work done with Zak tonight as too hot and Ian busy haymaking until after 10pm. Looking forward to the rain that is forecast tomorrow as it was unbearably hot today.....not often I look forward to rain!! No doubt I'll be complaining about being back to mud next!

Hi everyone. Ken here from liverpool but live in Lincolnshire. I keep 3 chickens (an Araucana, a lemon pyle brahma and i think a sussex) now 3 months old incubated by my two kids who are now incubating Aylesbury ducks.

Hi Ken and welcome to the thread.

It sounds like an interesting and colourful little flock you have there. Have you been lucky and got all pullets or don't you know yet?
Good luck to your children with the duck egg incubation.
Do you have any other pets/animals?
Feel free to post photos.... we love to see other people's chickens and animals and their set up and of course family too for that matter.

Best wishes

Barbara

I've added some vitamins and electrolytes and they seem to be perking up a bit now, not as much spinning or head lolling. Managed to find a homemade electrolyte recipe on the Internet as well so I've put some outside for my older hens as a couple of them are panting.

How are they doing now?

Hi everyone. Ken here from liverpool but live in Lincolnshire. I keep 3 chickens (an Araucana, a lemon pyle brahma and i think a sussex) now 3 months old incubated by my two kids who are now incubating Aylesbury ducks.

Hi and welcome to the thread Ken :frow

How fun that your kids have incubated them, I'm sure they enjoy incubating very much :D I sure do ;)

Good luck with your duck incubation :fl

Last edited:
@rebrascora

Good evening Barabara :frow

Congrats on your chicks :clap How are they getting on, all I ok hope and that the hens are being good Mum's :D
Did you get the bees nest finished off? Your brace lady heights and scaffolding would not be my thing, especially with tackling bees thrown into the mix!! I'm not surprised you went back to finish off, it was just too hot yesterday for anything. Any movement was just causing sweating :sick The heat and humidity has just been so oppressive but we have a bit of break now. Still very warm and ahi I'd but we have a breeze!! No rain here though that was forecast, did you get some?

Great to hear you had a better session with Zak and finishing on that good note will have done you both the world of good :highfive: Have you managed any work with him today? While its been so hot I have not been out on Harry since Sunday. Hoping to get out in him first thing in the morning as it should be a tad cooler but with no rain or thunderstorm as forecast maybe the air won't clear :idunno I hope so or poor old Harry will have to ready to go at 6 in the morning, no way am I going when it's hot hot hot :cool:

I got the little chicks out to the shed and they are loving all the space :D I put them the Eco glow in there but they have really not needed it. They went under last night at bedtime but that's been about it. Just milking around and it's been plenty warm enough for them.

Hope your having a more cool evening and that your all well up there :hugs

Kim

Last edited:
How are they doing now?
Hi and welcome to the thread Ken :frow

How fun that your kids have incubated them, I'm sure they enjoy incubating very much :D I sure do ;)

Good luck with your duck incubation :fl

Hey!
They're OK...not 100% but better. One of them had a bit of a tumble earlier and scared me a bit...ended up on its back and couldn't get back over but it came round eventually

Great to hear they are doing better :D

Eeeek on the tumble!!

Yes he gave me a bit of a scare, looked like he was having some sort of a fit so I panicked a bit. He sorted himself out though. I think it's just about giving him time now and see if he keeps getting better, which I hope he does!
How have you been? Spending plenty of time with your horses on these lovely summer days?
I got 6 Welsh harlequin duck eggs on Saturday which I have put in the incubator, thankfully all 6 seem to be coming on nicely and we haven't been cheated like I thought we may have done! Very excited to be trying to hatch some ducklings :)

Back
Top Bottom