UK Member Please Say HI

I'm just switching over to layers at the moment but I think we're 20 plus weeks now. No idea about switching earlier I'm afraid!

My crazy chicks seem to like the cold. The last 2 nights I've caught most of them going to roost on their run's roof. Just the bottom 2 of the pecking order went into the coop as normal. Luckily it's not that high so I just lifted the rebels down and shut them in their run. Last night 3 of them were locked out of the coop in their run by the automatic closer and I had to put them in. Tonight, at least, they all made it in from the run. I hope this is just a glitch! Not sure if they're copying the wild hen who's roosting in our tree at the moment. :th

I'm just switching over to layers at the moment but I think we're 20 plus weeks now. No idea about switching earlier I'm afraid!

My crazy chicks seem to like the cold. The last 2 nights I've caught most of them going to roost on their run's roof. Just the bottom 2 of the pecking order went into the coop as normal. Luckily it's not that high so I just lifted the rebels down and shut them in their run. Last night 3 of them were locked out of the coop in their run by the automatic closer and I had to put them in. Tonight, at least, they all made it in from the run. I hope this is just a glitch! Not sure if they're copying the wild hen who's roosting in our tree at the moment. :th
Oh thats odd maybe a reason why they want to stay out later. I got my gate to close at 5.30 pm they are usualy huddled in there by 5pm.
Ive just started putting a litle of the layers in with their growers. I guess by the time it all gets merged in they maybe about 16 or 17 weeks. Im thinking it wont hurt much. if its not too much out.
No signs of eggs chicknovice ? Im thinking maybe the cold dark nights arent too much help for them.

Oh thats odd maybe a reason why they want to stay out later. I got my gate to close at 5.30 pm they are usualy huddled in there by 5pm.
Ive just started putting a litle of the layers in with their growers. I guess by the time it all gets merged in they maybe about 16 or 17 weeks. Im thinking it wont hurt much. if its not too much out.
No signs of eggs chicknovice ? Im thinking maybe the cold dark nights arent too much help for them.

It's strange...both nights they looked like they were really settling down for the night on top of the run. They were all fluffed up, sitting in a line on the ridge. Hey ho, I'll just have to keep putting them in I guess.

No eggs yet...I'm just telling myself not to expect anything till spring lol :pop

No eggs yet...I'm just telling myself not to expect anything till spring lol :pop
The nights will start getting lighter after xmas so lets hope they might get inspired chicknovice. Its all exciting when its all new to us. :D

Im a bit concerned all my chickens might be guys lol. I posted a pic of my Popcorn on `what breed am i` forum and a few suggested rooster lol. I was hoping for white chick babies in the future.

Attachments

• DSC_1027.JPG
    DSC_1027.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_1028.JPG
    DSC_1028.JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_1029.JPG
    DSC_1029.JPG
    516.6 KB · Views: 3
:frow Everyone!
Hope everyone and their birds are well? Feel like I have not posted on this thread in ages so wanted to pop in to see you all :)

Is everyone set for Christmas? Think I’m getting there at last but need to make the final push this week. I’ve been more busy delivering everyone else’s Christmas rather than getting on with my own! :lol:

Hi YC i looked at the thead earlier and noted things are quiet this time of year mabye peopel are busy with xmas and everthing.... Im still waiting for chicknovice to post her first egg and im stil waiting to see if any of my silkies will crow or not, one minite i think they are guys then next minute im unsure lol. Nearly set for xmas here, not long away. Hope everyone and all the chickens have a briliant time, (preferably in the coop than on the table lol)

All set here - the only excitement we had was a rooster as a 'house guest' for a couple of days. He got a touch of frostnip (-1F overnight), so he came in for some TLC.
Doing well after 2 days so back to the now heated coop - I'm using an oil filled radiator, so no fires :fl

Hi YC i looked at the thead earlier and noted things are quiet this time of year mabye peopel are busy with xmas and everthing.... Im still waiting for chicknovice to post her first egg and im stil waiting to see if any of my silkies will crow or not, one minite i think they are guys then next minute im unsure lol. Nearly set for xmas here, not long away. Hope everyone and all the chickens have a briliant time, (preferably in the coop than on the table lol)

Oh that first egg takes forever! Silkies sure are hard to sex, just like the polish. They like to keep you guessing and waiting! Having the traditional Turkey here for Christmas lunch so no chicken on the table. Not enough meat on my little polish for a whole meal :lol:

I'm all set for Xmas the quails prezzies are all wrapped up ready they seem to be confused I have got about 12 eggs in last 2 weeks when they aren't ment to laying silly monsters :hmm

Are they still in your garage? Do they get extra light with being in there?

All set here - the only excitement we had was a rooster as a 'house guest' for a couple of days. He got a touch of frostnip (-1F overnight), so he came in for some TLC.
Doing well after 2 days so back to the now heated coop - I'm using an oil filled radiator, so no fires :fl

Wow that’s cold! Bet he enjoyed being indoors, I’m sure mine would love to move in!
Fires in the coop scare me, the lamp out in the brooding shed always bothered me. The oil radiator sounds much better, we have one in our garage and it works well :)

Back
Top Bottom