UK Member Please Say HI

@Sainty1346
Hi Paul and welcome from snowy Consett! I understand you didn't get a dusting of snow up there today... unlike us.
Sounds like your girls are doing well. What breed(s) do you have? Do you have much of a problem with foxes up there?

Regards

Barbara

Snow Barbara! Non here thank goodness but it has rained all day long :( Bad Kim hasn’t ridden again!

@Yorkshire Coop
Hi Kim

Yes, it was snowing when I woke up and there was a good inch on the ground and it continued well into the afternoon until it turned to rain. There is still a lumpy white covering but it is horribly wet.... and don't even mention riding to me.... I haven't been in the saddle...4ever! MeMe was hobbling lame Wed night (near hind). Hoped my wonderful blacksmith might be able to come out Thurs as pretty sure it was an abscess, but got no response. Dug a couple of bits of grit out of her white line and hot poultice her for a few days and she has come sound but not convinced that is the end of it.... but at least it has tided me over the long weekend without a vet's call out.
Hope you had an enjoyable Easter, despite the miserable weather.

@Yorkshire Coop
Hi Kim

Yes, it was snowing when I woke up and there was a good inch on the ground and it continued well into the afternoon until it turned to rain. There is still a lumpy white covering but it is horribly wet.... and don't even mention riding to me.... I haven't been in the saddle...4ever! MeMe was hobbling lame Wed night (near hind). Hoped my wonderful blacksmith might be able to come out Thurs as pretty sure it was an abscess, but got no response. Dug a couple of bits of grit out of her white line and hot poultice her for a few days and she has come sound but not convinced that is the end of it.... but at least it has tided me over the long weekend without a vet's call out.
Hope you had an enjoyable Easter, despite the miserable weather.

It is just sodden down here, places I’ve never seen water standing is covered. Pretty quiet weekend here barring deliveries, horse’s, chickens & quail hatching and then croaking it! Had a couple drop of the perch so to speak last night but they hatched weak. Got a couple with feet issues and I’m going to have to cull those I think.
My friend is away skiing so I’ve been keeping my eye on those pesky kids down the farm as they are meant to be doing her jobs too but I did them this morning so I could fetch straight back in. I couldn’t trust that they would be down to fetch in early so rather than worry I just got them in.

Hope you can get MeMe sorted and glad you managed to avoid the vet at least for the long weekend! Will the farrier come this week for you?

@Yorkshire Coop
Oh Kim, I'm sorry to hear some of your quail babies are not doing well. The last update I saw, they seemed to be hatching like pop corn! It is so hard when they need to be culled. I don't envy you that job! Is Keeper still recovering well. I saw that Charlie had had him out shooting but on a lead. He is so handsome!
Not sure if perhaps my farrier is away or just too busy to respond on Thurs. Can't say I blame him on the run up to a bank holiday weekend. I will get back to him if she goes lame again and my gut feeling is that will happen, but no point in getting him out whilst she is sound, especially as he usually will not take any money off me for such call outs. I would hate to put him out unnecessarily. I might actually invest in some hoof testers myself as I would be reasonably confident to dig an abscess out if I knew where to dig.... I do my own trimming, so it is not a huge step from there and of course I have all the poulticing gear for after that.... the more horses you have and the longer you have them, the more adept you get at dealing with these things!

I'm so jealous of your friend who is away skiing. I used to be a very keen skier but since I got the horses it just hasn't been possible so it's more than 20 years since and I'm pretty certain my knees would not stand up to it now sadly even if I did get the chance. I couldn't risk being out of action with all the horses and chickens to look after. It seems like another lifetime! Sigh!

@Yorkshire Coop
Oh Kim, I'm sorry to hear some of your quail babies are not doing well. The last update I saw, they seemed to be hatching like pop corn! It is so hard when they need to be culled. I don't envy you that job! Is Keeper still recovering well. I saw that Charlie had had him out shooting but on a lead. He is so handsome!
Not sure if perhaps my farrier is away or just too busy to respond on Thurs. Can't say I blame him on the run up to a bank holiday weekend. I will get back to him if she goes lame again and my gut feeling is that will happen, but no point in getting him out whilst she is sound, especially as he usually will not take any money off me for such call outs. I would hate to put him out unnecessarily. I might actually invest in some hoof testers myself as I would be reasonably confident to dig an abscess out if I knew where to dig.... I do my own trimming, so it is not a huge step from there and of course I have all the poulticing gear for after that.... the more horses you have and the longer you have them, the more adept you get at dealing with these things!

I'm so jealous of your friend who is away skiing. I used to be a very keen skier but since I got the horses it just hasn't been possible so it's more than 20 years since and I'm pretty certain my knees would not stand up to it now sadly even if I did get the chance. I couldn't risk being out of action with all the horses and chickens to look after. It seems like another lifetime! Sigh!

The hatch was going well if not a little drawn out with those early hatching Harlequin. Quail are not like chicken chicks as in once you get a couple eating & drinking the rest follow suit. It seemed I got them all going, dipping beaks and encouraging feeding but those 2 just never seemed to thrive no matter how hard I tried. The foot trouble could be from bad nutrition in the parent birds but I had no control over them. I’m a little put off culling these 2 as they are both eating/drinking well, getting around the best they can but I know it’s not fair to keep them going.

You are braver than me Barbara with tackling an abscess! I’d be scared to death of digging too deep! Hoping you won’t have to that but let me know how it goes if you do.

Never been skiing in my life but the worry of injuries would bother me too. I’ve got too much to do to be getting myself hurt! Hence when my shoulder was bad I was happy to spend the £25 on some good prescription painkillers to keep going! I hope my friend comes back in one piece after her little jaunt!

Hi Ethel and welcome from the North East.
It sounds like you have a great flock for producing eggs and great personality..... leghorns and ex bats are both curious, sharp and quirky. I know nothing about Anconas except that they lay white eggs too. I bet the ducklings are cute but they grow up to be terrible mud monsters. With all those eggs you will surely get from the hens, you don't really need them to add to the egg mountain anyway really, do you! Do you have any other animals?
I see that you are a gardener. Do you grow fruit and veg or just ornamental. Have you set anything away yet? I just sowed some peas in guttering in the hope that I have better success than last year when they either got eaten by voles or rotted off. I sprouted them first in the house and I've suspended the guttering from my poly tunnel frame as the first night after I sowed them, something dug 3 out and ate them.... just the skins left.... :barnieI've had a word with my garden security team.... Lulu and Tiger and told them no more treats until they do their job! ;)

Best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom