UK Member Please Say HI

Hi noobie question about feathers. There are about 20 feathers in and around my run today mostly little downy ones but some big ones. I normally only see 3 or 4. Is this normal? My Pekin Bantams are 11 weeks old now.
It almost looks like a small bird was killed by a cat? Could they have had a fight while freeranging in or by their run? Or attacked by a magpie? Or do they just moult at this age? They are very happy and clucking around my feet.

Hi noobie question about feathers. There are about 20 feathers in and around my run today mostly little downy ones but some big ones. I normally only see 3 or 4. Is this normal? My Pekin Bantams are 11 weeks old now.
It almost looks like a small bird was killed by a cat? Could they have had a fight while freeranging in or by their run? Or attacked by a magpie? Or do they just moult at this age? They are very happy and clucking around my feet.
They do have a juvenile molt - now they are getting their 'big girl' feathers :)

So I’ve just chased a massive cat from my garden. We have a lot of wild birds and the magpie was going crazy and when I looked out the window this huge cat was climbing out of garden so it had been down in the bushes.
Would a cat kill 11 week old Pekin Bantams? 2 of them are big now but 2 are quite small, my smallest is the size of a pigeon.
Scared :oops:

I think you're right to be scared. Cats are carnivore predators. Have you got a water pistol/blaster? Makes a good deterrent and fun in this hot weather too!

Some cats will kill seagulls, some cats can't even catch mice. But it's always better to be safe than sorry and err on the side caution. Don't let them range unless you can be there. Or at least can see and hear them through a door or window.

I’m gutted cos we’ve been letting them freerange all day even when we pop out for a couple of hours. Their run is quite small. I’d hate to have to lock them up every time we go out. Everything I researched before I got them made me feel confident that cats aren’t typically after chickens or that chickens can stand up for themselves.
So sad for them.

I used to get alot of cats in my garden. But since I got chickens they don't seem to come in now. I think that when yours are fully grown you should be OK but for the time being be vigilant. Could you get a cockeral?

Back
Top Bottom