UK Member Please Say HI

Perhaps a local saying rather than national then; a#$e over teacup.
Maybe it is :lol:. I feel a bit dumb but I don't think I even know where Shropshire is! :oops:

Yes, long break, 9 years of Chemo, Radio and a transplant. I'm in remission now and I told myself if I ever got to 3 years I'd treat us to some chickens. They're worth the wait.
Wow what a journey :hugs- I'm so pleased you have your gorgeous girls now! They are lovely too - a beautiful colour and such pretty names!

Glad to hear you've gotten through it, @Lijong; here's to good health in the future. They're lovely, and great names; I've often opted for names from media for my lot, and they always seem to grow to fit the characters. I haven't seen DBoM in years and years, so I can't say whether or not that's a good thing!

@PouleChick, I honestly have no idea where most places are, past "north" "south" and "wales". Shropshire's west mids; I'm in South Shropshire, on the Powys border. A lot of hills and rain and not much else. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone

Yes, long break, 9 years of Chemo, Radio and a transplant. I'm in remission now and I told myself if I ever got to 3 years I'd treat us to some chickens. They're worth the wait.

Yes, they are red. We've had Bluebells, Blackrock, Amber Star and a Speckeldy before now and this time I wanted plain old reds, I actually find they are beautiful. The others were dark, these more colourful.

Their names....well... we've gone for a "Darling Buds" theme with Primrose, Petunia, and Victoria!
Hello @Lijong. Sounds like you have been through alot. Its great to hear your on the other side of it now though. You have some lovely hens and very fitting names! I started with Warren hens and found them such a friendly bunch! They follow me everywhere and are so inquisitive. I also have a couple of bluebells amongst my girls. Heres to good health and happy hens!

@PouleChick, I honestly have no idea where most places are, past "north" "south" and "wales". Shropshire's west mids; I'm in South Shropshire, on the Powys border. A lot of hills and rain and not much else. :rolleyes:
You make it sound so appealing :lau:lau:lau
that's ok - here in the US so many people don't even know where England is let alone France or Australia!
I have heard that it can be like that! I was a Rotary exchange student and when we had our training one of the stories that we were told as a warning of what not to do was about someone who had been to the US a few years earlier. They had noticed the lack of international knowledge and ended up telling his mates at the high shcool that in Australia we ride kangaroos to school and that there is a special paddock at the back of the school to put them until after school. Every one believed him for ages! I sometimes get 'you mean Austria' when I say where I'm from - errrrr no :lau

Has anyone else noticed the price of wood shavings going up? I just had to pay £8.50 for a bale:eek: It's not so bad for me as I only get through one every three weeks but the wifey is using 3-4 a week with the horsey!

It’s been that much here for a while for shaving’s.
Wow that’s a lot for the horsey! Could it not go on straw? Then again straw has really gone up this winter. Was £1.20 last winter & is now £2 per small bale. Just glad Harry only uses 1 - 1 1/2 per week!

It’s been that much here for a while for shaving’s.
Wow that’s a lot for the horsey! Could it not go on straw? Then again straw has really gone up this winter. Was £1.20 last winter & is now £2 per small bale. Just glad Harry only uses 1 - 1 1/2 per week!
We can get straw for nothing. A friend bales it for us after the harvest. Unfortunately we can't use it at the stables though. Something about the drainage, not sure exactly what. We're struggling a bit for hay as well. It's £5.50 a bale from the yard we can get it elsewhere for £5.00. I'm going to have to speak to our friends who have cattle, they have big round bales, I'll just need to store it.

I have heard that it can be like that! I was a Rotary exchange student and when we had our training one of the stories that we were told as a warning of what not to do was about someone who had been to the US a few years earlier. They had noticed the lack of international knowledge and ended up telling his mates at the high shcool that in Australia we ride kangaroos to school and that there is a special paddock at the back of the school to put them until after school.
To be fair, Skippy was part detective / sniffer-roo and helicopter guidance co-pilot so its not outta context :confused:, but wallabies for primary school, surely :D

We can get straw for nothing. A friend bales it for us after the harvest. Unfortunately we can't use it at the stables though. Something about the drainage, not sure exactly what. We're struggling a bit for hay as well. It's £5.50 a bale from the yard we can get it elsewhere for £5.00. I'm going to have to speak to our friends who have cattle, they have big round bales, I'll just need to store it.

Do they mean the straw will drain and not soak up like the shavings? Is the stable on a sloap or something?

£5 a small bale here too. I’m glad I got some done myself last year now. But I’m going to have to make it last until this years cut is ready to use. If we have another summer like last year I’m not sure it will though....
Can you store big bales at the yard for the horsey? Our yard stopped it for all new liveries as there was just no space for it all. All new liveries now have to use the yards hay/haylage & straw and get billed for it.

Back
Top Bottom