UK Member Please Say HI

I’ve been trying to force myself to stay up later to try and get out of the habit of waking most mornings at 1.30am. Now it will be 2.30am when I wake so by time I drop back off it will be time to get up again, drives me round twist some nights!

4.30 is early @Borders3 is that for work? My son does shifts and mornings starts at 5.30.

all UK keepers, this is really important! there's a consultation on every bird having to be registered in UK. Please follow the links and complete the survey.
https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...r-captive-birds-registration-in-great-britain

Edited to add: this is clearly targeted at backyard chicken keepers, yet it lacks the category and isn't framed with them in mind.
Thank you, I'd missed this. The website states that it's carrying forward the recommendations of the Farm Inspection and Regulation Review of 2018 https://assets.publishing.service.g...ection-regulatio-review-final-report-2018.pdf

The survey is about whether keepers of fewer than 50 birds should now be required to register them
One of the options is to 'do nothing' ie continue with compulsory registrarion only for 50 or more. for
It includes specific questions on whether certain categories should be exempt from the registration requirement: keepers of fewer than 10 birds; and birds kept as pets in domestic premises.
There are also questions about bird species, not just chickens.

So backyard chicken keepers need not feel 'targeted' :)

I opted to register anyway and found it helpful. With avian flu around it's been useful to have a daily update of reliable info.

4.30 is early @Borders3 is that for work? My son does shifts and mornings starts at 5.30.
I start at 6.00am but like to be up early to get my dinner ready and have my breakfast. I have tried later like 4.45 /5.00 but always end up late so sticking with the 4.30. Not shift work our hours are 8.00-4.30 so that's two hours of overtime, if I want it. I could also leave anytime after I have done my 8 hours so very flexible and I prefer the early morning start, hate traffic in Malton. I got into this habit when I was living in Birdsall on the way to work I would always meet the race horse strings going to the gallops so was a right nightmare. I now live the opposite side of Malton but like the time so stuck with it. I tend to finish early in winter so I can tend to the chickens, then as it gets lighter I leave at 4.30.

I opted to register anyway and found it helpful. With avian flu around it's been useful to have a daily update of reliable info.
I am not registered. Don't know if I'll bother or not. Daily updates are not something I would want.....I just want to know when they can come out of lockdown. Mind you I don't know if I will let them out again, might be more bother than it's worth, we have a big dog fox running round here at the moment, I've smelt him when walking the dogs but hubby has seen him.

I start at 6.00am but like to be up early to get my dinner ready and have my breakfast. I have tried later like 4.45 /5.00 but always end up late so sticking with the 4.30. Not shift work our hours are 8.00-4.30 so that's two hours of overtime, if I want it. I could also leave anytime after I have done my 8 hours so very flexible and I prefer the early morning start, hate traffic in Malton. I got into this habit when I was living in Birdsall on the way to work I would always meet the race horse strings going to the gallops so was a right nightmare. I now live the opposite side of Malton but like the time so stuck with it. I tend to finish early in winter so I can tend to the chickens, then as it gets lighter I leave at 4.30.
I like to wake up before I head out and def 2 cups of T before I leave the house! When son starts at 5.30 he literally gets up at 5.20 brushes teeth an straight out of door :rolleyes: good job he only works in next village! Pesky horses on the road! I’ve got an ex racer but he’s retired now so enjoying field life. A friend has her horses with trainer Peter Niven, he’s up near you.
I am not registered. Don't know if I'll bother or not. Daily updates are not something I would want.....I just want to know when they can come out of lockdown. Mind you I don't know if I will let them out again, might be more bother than it's worth, we have a big dog fox running round here at the moment, I've smelt him when walking the dogs but hubby has seen him.
We have several over the road in the woods. One killed all my birds once and it was a hard lesson learned. We got it though a few nights later when it came back again. As fast as you take them out more move in to their territory or certain organisations release them.

A friend has her horses with trainer Peter Niven, he’s up near you.
Yes only a few miles up the road from us at Barton Le Street been through there many times.
One killed all my birds once and it was a hard lesson learned. We got it though a few nights later when it came back again. As fast as you take them out more move in to their territory or certain organisations release them.
This one, cannot as far as I know, get to my chickens. I had one get 2 of my chickens a couple of years ago during or just after Covid lock down, after the last lot of Avian flu, he got one in the early morning then came back a couple of nights later when they were mingling to go back into the coop at night and got another, also 2 different dogs got 2 different hens but at different times during lock down but they didn't kill them, just had vet bills to pay and got told I'd shoot their dog if I found it off lead here again.
Last year as Avian flu took so long to be released from lock down I decided to make a permanent run, (instead of the makeshift one we had been using), out of 3 4x3 metre polytunnel frames joined together and covered with wire with the two sections nearest the coop covered with a tarp and I put a skirt of wire right round it, not smelt him near at any time but that doesn't mean he hasn't checked it out, I'm sure he will have, but I am happy they are safe in there, on the plus side I know where they lay their eggs, in the nest boxes, not any and which place takes their fancy. Plus the cats cannot get into the coop and sleep in the nest boxes!!!!

I’m so ready for some drier weather :fl it feels like it has done nothing but rain this week. I’m sick to the back teeth of trudging through mud and being filthy....... I’m that way out today :hmm

Back
Top Bottom