Ultimate Flock Choices.* HELP ME CHOOSE*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Damummis, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I need to figure out my ultimate flock. Right now I have year old Cochin. Very broody hens. I WANT a mix of broody and GOOD layers that are good temperament and cold hardy. I have a demand for eggs that I can't keep up with, but on the other hand I need a good broody for the self sustaining aspect. I also have a few Frizzle Cochins that i can't tell if they are boys or girls yet, 1 Maran chick, one BLRW and another Cochin chick that are 3 weeks old, don't know sexes yet.

What do I keep, get rid of and order????

20 is the limit.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    My Cochins are pretty good layers and very very gentle.. they will go broody also. My EE's and Ameraucanas are Excellent layers..and my Salmon Faverolles will lay until they die...they cant seem to stop laying..which is good for me also. so that is my experience. Hope it helps.

3. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
  4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    My only real thought is why order from a hatchery when their are so many unique breeds from private breeders and folks on BYC?

For me I love my EE's the unique coloring of each allowed the kids to name each one. They are good pets, 11 birds lay an average of 9 eggs a day. All colors, blue, blue/green, cream/pink, light brown, medium brown.

I am just loving the looks, temperament and personalities of my 10 week old BB/S Ameraucana's from Paul Smith. Also my 6 week old BB/S Marans from Bishopchickens here on BYC are coming along nicely too. Even have a little roo starting to crow.

I am into blue birds, blue eggs and super dark eggs, most customers have never seen those.

Some day I would like Blue Hamburg.

ON

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Quote:True, true. Still in the research stage. Thanks for the imput.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, it sounds like you have it covered in the broody department. Cochins and Wyandotte's are known to go broody frequently.

What are you looking for besides quantity of eggs in your flock? Welsummers lay well and mine just started laying last month, and their eggs are getting big, some of them are larger than my older hens. If you go with Marans, you can keep Black Copper and Blue Copper together. Add in pure Ameraucana (not the same as EE and you have to get them from a breeder, not a hatchery) and the offspring when crossed with Marans will give you hens that lay olive green colored eggs. Barred Rocks lay jumbo sized eggs and a lot of them.

My advise would be to pick a breed that interests you and go from there.

Here's some pictures of my birds and eggs.

Pure Ameraucana - not yet laying, but close.
    [​IMG]

Black Copper Marans and her first egg:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welsummer rooster:
    [​IMG]

Welsummer pullet:
    [​IMG]

Welsummer eggs, in center:
    [​IMG]

Edited to fix picture link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Nice bowl of eggs.

I am a little overwhelmed right now. So many options. [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have had 15 breeds over the last few years including Marans, Welsummers, Ameraucana, Delewares, Leghorns, and others. My ultimate choice has been Faverolles they are dual purpose do well in the cold and lay well all year. They also occasionally go broody. They are extremely docile and good egg layers. If I had enough room for 30 birds I would have 10 Welsummers, 10 Ameraucana, 5 Marans, and 15 Faverolles. I wouldn't buy these breeds for a hatchery though.

Henry

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have had tons of different breeds and of everything I have owned, the cochins remain my favorite for temperment, egg size and broodiness. I also like the welsummers and BLRW. I think those three breeds would have to be my favorites.

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Quote:Thanks Henry,
    That is a nice selection. I only will have room for 20 though........... hummmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by