Umbilical Cord and Yolk Still attached - HELP :)

KaliChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
I have 2 ducklings that hatched about 1.5 hours ago. The first one still has it's umbilical cord and what appears to be the yolk sac still attached. They are both still in the incubator and I have more pipping. Any ideas?? Right now I'm taking the "leave it alone" stance but will intervene if necessary.

It doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. The two that have hatched are snuggling up together (presumably to stay warm, although incubator is at 99.8 with humidity at 70% ... too humid??). It does appear to be getting a little smaller in the middle so maybe it's working it's way off??

Ok, I'll layer the brooder with a little paper first so that it doesn't get stuck to the shavings.

I always have with my chicks, I don't know why I forgot to line it with the ducks!

Pick them up and put into the Brooder.. Humidity is high and the umbilical is still wet...It should just come apart..
smile.png

No offence, but wouldn't that disturb the other pippers! lol xx
big_smile.png

The other pippers are doing okay! One has a really nice size hole. The other two seem to be internally pipping (they have a very small hole on the outside).

I learned with chicks if you just open to pull out quick and get the lid back on that they usually do just fine. But we shall see!!

These two are now snuggling nicely under the warm brooder lamp. They seem more comfortable and the umbilical cord lost the yolk sac already and looks to be detaching more. It wasn't able to move real well with it attached so I think this is better.

I'm keeping a close eye on them to make sure they stay nice and toasty.

Thank you! There is one still with a big hole. I can see his beak. The other two have a small pip but I can hear them so for now they are okay.

I do have a question on feeding though. I was told not to give them food and water all the time but instead to give it to them for 2 hours, take it away for an hour, etc. Is that right? What about overnight?

I have 2 ducklings that hatched about 1.5 hours ago. The first one still has it's umbilical cord and what appears to be the yolk sac still attached. They are both still in the incubator and I have more pipping. Any ideas?? Right now I'm taking the "leave it alone" stance but will intervene if necessary. It doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. The two that have hatched are snuggling up together (presumably to stay warm, although incubator is at 99.8 with humidity at 70% ... too humid??). It does appear to be getting a little smaller in the middle so maybe it's working it's way off??
That's not unabsorbed yolk sac, just hatching gunk... clean it off gently and place in brooder... If it had been unabsorbed yolk, best thing to do is place it in a cup or bowl on something soft like paper towel or washcloth, dry... yolk sacs can get snagged and ruptured easy and many of those don't recover once it's ruptured...
Thank you! There is one still with a big hole. I can see his beak. The other two have a small pip but I can hear them so for now they are okay. I do have a question on feeding though. I was told not to give them food and water all the time but instead to give it to them for 2 hours, take it away for an hour, etc. Is that right? What about overnight?
Ducklings should always have food and water 24/7... just make sure they don't get food without water as they can choke if they can't wash the food down...

Back
Top Bottom