help with hatching duck umbilical cord or yolk sac

ells22

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2023
Hi im very new to duck hatching. my ducks were pipping maybe 2 days ago and one hasnt made any progress so ive done loads of research unsure on what to do and ive made the decision to help it hatch as i had a gut feeling something was wrong. the duck is alive and moving and chirping but i think the umbilical cord is still attached so ive left the membrane as im afraid of the duck bleeding to death. i really dont know what to do and i hope the duck survives. i have uploaded a couple photos and the green circle is what i think the umbilical cord is behind the foot it has loads of veins in and is slimy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 36
hi i believe that its the yolk sac now but still unsure on what to do
I have never hatched any eggs but Ive read a lot of threads where advice was given to let the baby absorb all the yolk , its very important, and to keep the baby moist ie raise humidity a little or just spray a little mist of water now and then?
Ive tagged people who I think can help. I hope the ittle one will be ok!

I’m not seeing a yolk
The yolk will be a yellow ball attached to the belly with the cord at the other end of it they also attaches to the egg
I would need a clear pic of the belly to know for sure
okay thank you i will attach a photo. any ideas on whats in between the legs? ive tried to help the duck as much as possible without hurting it. thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 33
Sadly if between the legs could be part of the tripe of the duck. If is the intestine the duck can die after starving. Will be unable to feed itself

Keep it moist but don't try to help the duck to get rid of the shell. If is the yolk can just discard it after some hours.

Back
Top Bottom