Umbilical cord tied around leg after unassisted hatch, but pulled it's insides before I noticed it...help!

sometimes the yolk takes a while to absorb, depending on its size it could take from a few hours to a day or even two.
Im more concerned on making sure the naval area looks okay, no bleeding or anything.
You did the right thing by separating him, keep him separate, preferably in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed.
could you get a photo of the chick's tummy so that we can see the naval/yolk.
There is no way to look at the naval area really bc this is all Infront of it. He pulled on it when the cord was tied around his leg. And this is what's left hanging. I'm scared to inspect it further for fear I could pull more out or injure it trying to look. If that makes sense.

That's okay!
The yolk is fairly small so I would expect that to be absorbed in half a day to a day or so. He probably wont have much interest in food in that time.
The biggest threat is probably infection, I'm not an expert, so someone else may have better comments on how it is looking currently, I'm not too sure about the cord around the leg situation, either.
Keep everything soft for him, puppy training pads may work well if he's already in the brooder. Don't put him with the others until he's done absorbing, make sure everything is clean and dry. Keep us updated!
Are we sure it's yolk and not actually intestines? That's what I'm afraid of. That he pulled something out that shouldn't be when he it was learning to walk and still tied to his leg....

There is no way to look at the naval area really bc this is all Infront of it. He pulled on it when the cord was tied around his leg. And this is what's left hanging. I'm scared to inspect it further for fear I could pull more out or injure it trying to look. If that makes sense.
don't worry, the photos are okay, and when I said naval area I just meant his tummy/yolk area

Back
Top Bottom