Umbilical cord tied around leg after unassisted hatch, but pulled it's insides before I noticed it...help!

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Hatch day started yesterday. This has been a fairly stress free hatch for us. I had a couple shrink wrapped but I moistened and left them to there own devices and they were able to get free. One of the early hatchers somehow got the umbilical cord actually tied around one of it's legs. When I noticed that it was pulling on the belly I inspected and ended up having to cut the cord to get it free and keep it from injuring itself any further. It was so soon after hatching that I didn't want to interfere with yolk absorbtion so I put ointment on it and placed in a cup back in the incubator. I checked a while ago and it still hasn't taken all of that back into it's body. What do I do now?

5271EE70-5606-4AAC-895E-0C5992FB77C2.jpeg

Here’s a pic of him now ❤️

Seems fine other then the obvious issue. It walks just fine and seems unbothered by it but I've separated it for fear that the others would peck or scratch that and injury it. Has anyone seen this before? What did you do? Can this be helped?

Attachments

• PXL_20220514_175118805.jpg
    PXL_20220514_175118805.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 21
Sorry. Tried to post these with the original message but they got cut out somehow

Attachments

• PXL_20220514_175107943.jpg
    PXL_20220514_175107943.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220514_174950681.jpg
    PXL_20220514_174950681.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220514_174921056.jpg
    PXL_20220514_174921056.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 17
sometimes the yolk takes a while to absorb, depending on its size it could take from a few hours to a day or even two.
Im more concerned on making sure the naval area looks okay, no bleeding or anything.
You did the right thing by separating him, keep him separate, preferably in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed.
could you get a photo of the chick's tummy so that we can see the naval/yolk.
There is no way to look at the naval area really bc this is all Infront of it. He pulled on it when the cord was tied around his leg. And this is what's left hanging. I'm scared to inspect it further for fear I could pull more out or injure it trying to look. If that makes sense.

Hatch day started yesterday. This has been a fairly stress free hatch for us. I had a couple shrink wrapped but I moistened and left them to there own devices and they were able to get free. One of the early hatchers somehow got the umbilical cord actually tied around one of it's legs. When I noticed that it was pulling on the belly I inspected and ended up having to cut the cord to get it free and keep it from injuring itself any further. It was so soon after hatching that I didn't want to interfere with yolk absorbtion so I put ointment on it and placed in a cup back in the incubator. I checked a while ago and it still hasn't taken all of that back into it's body. What do I do now?
Is it just the yolk sac that got pulled out?

please attach photos

Seems fine other then the obvious issue. It walks just fine and seems unbothered by it but I've separated it for fear that the others would peck or scratch that and injury it. Has anyone seen this before? What did you do? Can this be helped?
sometimes the yolk takes a while to absorb, depending on its size it could take from a few hours to a day or even two.
Im more concerned on making sure the naval area looks okay, no bleeding or anything.
You did the right thing by separating him, keep him separate, preferably in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed.
could you get a photo of the chick's tummy so that we can see the naval/yolk.

That looks like the same problem my rooster went through. I just kept an eye on him, and it fell off after a few weeks, and he’s doing alright now, so I would just keep an eye out for your little baby for now.

Back
Top Bottom