Umbilical hernia???

richey1978

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Orange TX
Two days ago I received 5 3 day old baby barred rock pullets. I checked all 5 for pasty butt, and they were all fine except for one little girl. I thought she had pasty butt, so I soaked her little rear in warm water, and then gently used a wet wash cloth to rub at the poo. However, I quickly realized that it was (most likely) her intestines that had come out through her abdomen (I am assuming the umbilical cord even though some people say chickens do not have them). I couldn't do anything for her; she started freaking out, chirping very loudly, and her flock-mates pecked at her to the point where I noticed poo leaking from the nickel-sized tumor-like-thing on her belly. When I noticed that she kept trying to poo (her vent kept contracting) even though nothing was coming out, so my husband and I made the decision to go ahead and humanely euthanize her.

Does anyone know what could have been the reason why this happened? I am not sure if it was just a birth defect, or maybe her flock-mates picked at her in transit through the mail. All 4 other chicks seem to be doing great. We love our cat-TV babies that are scratching around in our old dog crate!

Thanks for any info on what went wrong!

I have a chick that looks like it has the same thing... a little bump on her belly, umbilical cord looking thing as well. My chick is doing fine though, poops threw the vent and my other chicks don't seem to bother with her. I have been curious as to why it's there though.

Back
Top Bottom