Umm, how's this gonna work? Dumb broody!

Are there any differences between the coops? Higher roosts? Drier bedding? More food? Maybe there is something not so obvious that they prefer. Or are they being abused by the others in their coop? They could be trying to hide in the Brahma coop.

Quote:
Explanation: Is that what you want them to do? No

Are they female? Yes

Enough said!!!

Actually, I think they do learn by example, watching and learning from the mature hens. I'm actually a little surprised that some have not started roosting over there.

Awhile back one of my brahma hens decided to roost with the younger birds. Alot of fussing later she decided to go back to her own coop. During the day they play chinese fire drill though, with some of the brahmas laying in the larger coop and several of the younger ones laying in the brahma coop. Now I have 5 young pullets just starting to lay. They follow the lead of the head hen. Since she is laying in the brahma coop now, guess where all my eggs are ending up?
roll.png

Quote:
The coop designs are different but the nestboxes are identical, right down to the color. The boxes in the brahma coop are slightly higher, that's it. Same goes for the feeders. Identical feeders, same height, same food. It just tastes better in the not-your-coop. They're just being typical weird chickens.
roll.png

barnie.gif

Don't get to frustrated... After all

The grass is always greener on the other side for everything in life!
Chickens, animals, and even for people
big_smile.png

All you can do is laugh or keep them locked up seperate
idunno.gif

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Quote:

Are they female? Yes

Enough said!!!

Actually, I think they do learn by example, watching and learning from the mature hens. I'm actually a little surprised that some have not started roosting over there.

yuckyuck.gif
Female indeed! 'nough said.
gig.gif

Well, I find it necessary to add that they are Gritty's wierd birds. Hopefully she is setting on some Polish trahmas.
hide.gif

Quote:

Are they female? Yes

Enough said!!!

yuckyuck.gif
Female indeed! 'nough said.
gig.gif

Well, I find it necessary to add that they are Gritty's wierd birds. Hopefully she is setting on some Polish trahmas.
hide.gif

If and that's a big IF Ozzy the polish ever matures enough to try and mate the hens (so far he's still running from the girls and peeping like a chick) there is no way on earth that I am going to let anyone sit on eggs from my trahmas, fertilized by my polish. So quit wishing!
tongue2.gif

Ridge, stop leading Sour astray. I almost have him trained (his training being paid for by The Princess, of course).

Quote:
Does that mean you plan to get Silkie in the mix before you add the Polish? The Silkie feathers are recessive, not dominant, so you need them in the mix twice so you can see the effect. Probably wise thinking to delay the Polish until after the Silkie is included.

I have never had an issue with my brahmas raising chicks along with the rest of the flock. I let mama brood in an enclosure in the coop with the others and let her and the chicks out to do their thing after 4 or 5 days so the rest have had a chance to get used to them. I had 3 different brahma broodies last year and they all did this with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the input Highlander. I just worry because my brahmas have never gone broody. They are getting old and cranky, like me.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Does that mean you plan to get Silkie in the mix before you add the Polish? The Silkie feathers are recessive, not dominant, so you need them in the mix twice so you can see the effect. Probably wise thinking to delay the Polish until after the Silkie is included.

I am having eggs shipped in for the time being. Don't have a mature rooster right now to handle things. When you're talking free hatching eggs, you don't look a gift chicken in the mouth.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom