Unabsorbed youk sac

missymoo59

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Shingletown, Ca
I have a brand new hatchling that has a sac hanging from its bottom. It was about the size of a quarter and a brownish color but now it's bigger and leaking green ooze. What should I do?

Attachments

• 20200705_120247.jpg
    20200705_120247.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 16
I have a brand new hatchling that has a sac hanging from its bottom. It was about the size of a quarter and a brownish color but now it's bigger and leaking green ooze. What should I do?
Is it a quail? It might be intestines, or a prolapse of some kind. It doesn't look like yolk. Put the chick in a paper towel lined cup and sit it back in the incubator for a while. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe @WVduckchick or @Isaac 0 can help you more.

Did you assist the hatch? Or did she just pop out like that? If you assisted, you did it much too early. But if she did it one her own, then it's probably not the yolk. It's probably some internal organ or something. Not looking good. The sack is so large that I wouldn't be surprised if she died in a few hours. Sorry!

Is it a quail? It might be intestines, or a prolapse of some kind. It doesn't look like yolk. Put the chick in a paper towel lined cup and sit it back in the incubator for a while. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe @WVduckchick or @Isaac 0 can help you more.
No its a chicken. The green ooze finally stopped but I don't think it's going to make it. I never took it out of the incubator.

Did you assist the hatch? Or did she just pop out like that? If you assisted, you did it much too early. But if she did it one her own, then it's probably not the yolk. It's probably some internal organ or something. Not looking good. The sack is so large that I wouldn't be surprised if she died in a few hours. Sorry!
No I didn't assist, did it on their own and you were right she wasn't going to live. It kept trying to get up but couldn't. Finally after a few hours its breathing was very labored so I just went ahead and helped it die, it had been suffering long enough!

Back
Top Bottom