unbalanced quail chicks

TOMMY J D

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Just incubated a batch of chinese painted quail that are all fine but in the same batch i put some italian quail eggs in and there hatching but there not walking well and keep falling over on there backs and struggle to get up its almost like there lop sided im new to this so any information grateful, the humidity must be ok because the chinese hatched fine.?

Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

Sounds like your incubation temps and humidity were correct, at least to get the chicks to hatch and without deformities. Falling over backwards can stem from vitamin deficiencies, usually from the parent birds not getting enough nutrients while laying. In other words, genetic. Or possibly during incubation, the humidity was off enough that they were unable to absorb enough nutrients, although you say the other breed of chicks is ok.

If you have any nutri-drench or any vitamin/electrolytes you can add to the water, this will help greatly. Even some pedialyte, the stuff you give to human babies will work too. You need to get some good vitamins and minerals in these chicks to replace what they are missing. Most feed stores carry this sort of thing for chicks and chickens that you can use.

Were you given these eggs by someone else? If so, I would not order them them again, just in case this is genetic in origin.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Just incubated a batch of chinese painted quail that are all fine but in the same batch i put some italian quail eggs in and there hatching but there not walking well and keep falling over on there backs and struggle to get up its almost like there lop sided im new to this so any information grateful, the humidity must be ok because the chinese hatched fine.?

Am I understanding correctly that you incubated two different species, chinese painted/button quail and Italian coturnix (pharoah) quail eggs, at the same time? Did you start all the eggs at the same time? When did you do into lock down? What were your humidity readings at different times through incubation?

If you started everything at the same time and went into lock down at the correct time for the button quail then I would suspect the problem is turning/humidity caused.
More details on incubation would be helpful, but in the meantime I will second TwoCrows' recommendation for vitamin and electrolyte supplementing.

Cheers,
Jessie

Thanks for the advice will have a look in my local bird shop for some vitimans, All the eggs are layed from my birds, but i know with the chinese quail i have completley differant blood lines, bought from differant areas, but with the italians i bought 8 of a local chap and im not sure if they are related. cheers tommy.

thanks, the term lock down is that refering to stopping the turning of eggs? yes i did put them in at the same time, should ihave put the italians in two days earlier? or incubate them separate? thanks tommy

i separated a pair of chinese quail into another avairy and shes just hatched her own eggs four hatched but one got attacked and was dead when i came home from work today, its great to see them running around with threre mum.

Back
Top Bottom