Unbelievable egg buying experience

Phage

Mad Scientist
13 Years
Aug 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am addicted to hatching, and egg buying on line is a tricky business which I have done A LOT of ……
A few things I have learnt is that yes, how the PO handle the box is important as is distance. Most important however is the egg itself. If it is not good it will not tolerate any transportation.
For the most part I buy from sellers I have had good hatches from, or ones that have a good reputation.

It is great to have feed back system with the auctions, but I wish there was somewhere you could post experiences if you buy eggs through pms and have not actually won an auction.

So I though I would share this weeks experience because it was exceptional.
I arranged to buy 14 eggs for onthespot (Patty).

1. Patty took them to the PO at 5pm and exactly 19 hours later they arrived at my house.
2. The chooks must have got to Patty, because she sent 20 yes 20!!!!, all arrived perfectly intact.
3. Popped those babies into the r-com and candled them 5 days later (ok I could not wait) and I have 19 out of 20 babies growing like crazy!!!

Triple whammy!!!!! Whoo hooo
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Anyways that is my experience and I wanted to brag about it.

VERY nice!
smile.png
So far I've only bought shipped eggs from one person. The eggs came perfect in physical form, but I ended up getting 4/14 developing (they're on day 13 now) which is okay by me. They're test eggs anyway.

The rest of my eggs I actually drove out for 4 hours just to pick up. Those ones. so far, have 100% fertility and hopefully every single one will hatch perfectly!
smile.png

As for any other shipped eggs, I'm awaiting the next several dozen next week.
smile.png

Oh, and you mentioned how you wish there was feedback for people you get your eggs from through PM's - I sooo hear you! All of my pre-purchased and already purchased eggs are/were through PMs, not auctions. . . And I wish I could put down some sort of feedback for them.
smile.png

Great experience. I have a question or three. I am aware that how an egg is wrapped and packaged makes some difference in how well it travels. I also understand that how long it takes to make the trip is also a factor. It is also fairly obvious that how it is handled is also important. The seller has control of only 1 of those three factors except maybe in choosing which carrier they ship by ( I doubt any one is better than any other actually) and the buyer has no control over any of them except to be available to take delivery at the first opportunity.
When you say "If the egg is no good" do you mean simply infertile? or are there other things you consider make an egg "good"? If there are other factors what are they?

I drove an hour and a half to get eggs from Patti and they were supposed to be iffy but I had a great hatch too. She has great eggs.

Quote:
Apart from fertility I really think that:
1. making sure that the parent birds are not related,
2. that the birds have lots of good food and exercise,
3. and that the eggs are not sitting in a warm (or cold) place for a week before shipping

are critical and these are VERY MUCH under the control of the breeder/seller.

If eggs do not do well once and I really would like to hatch them I often get a second lot, but usually the second lot do no better. That is just my experience. Goes for peafowl same as chickens.

Quote:
Apart from fertility I really think that:
1. making sure that the parent birds are not related,
2. that the birds have lots of good food and exercise,
3. and that the eggs are not sitting in a warm (or cold) place for a week before shipping

are critical and these are VERY MUCH under the control of the breeder/seller.

If eggs do not do well once and I really would like to hatch them I often get a second lot, but usually the second lot do no better. That is just my experience. Goes for peafowl same as chickens.

Thank you for this!

I am hoping to start selling/sending eggs in the future, and i really want to be one of the "good ones."
wink.png
I really appreciate people sharing their insights like this.

Back
Top Bottom