Unbelievable!!

AdkChiksNRoos

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Ballston Spa N.Y
I was candling eggs the other night and accidentally dropped one!!! Acting quickly I grabbed some super glue and glued all the cracks and holes up. I watched the egg until it dried seeing movement until putting it back under the hen. I just checked again tonight and it's still kicking inside of there. Has anyone ever done this and successfully hatched a healthy chick? Are the chances of it going full term and hatching likely? I am truly amazed that it's made it this long. Just thought I'd share this cool story..

How many days into incubation is the egg? I've heard of some "gluing" cracks but not as you have done yours. It looks like the big end/air sac is where you glued. My first concern would be if/how "toxic" super glue is for the embryo, thinking Elmers Glue/paper tissue/towel would have been maybe a better choice. Second concern is if the glue adhere to the membrane or compromised the air sac. Last if the chick does make hatching, don't know if it will be able to pip out of the shell. Good try, hand it there and lets see what experts in incubation says, I'm not so don't rely on my thoughts. Good luck

Plus that is a whole lot bigger/wider than a typical crack, that looks like a canyon. Hope the baby makes it out okay.

Yes. The fumes got to me a bit as I was blowing on the egg. Luckily it was gel form. And I wet it on contact to cure it instantly, A trick I learned in the aquarium hobby frigging corals. I panicked. Super glue was my first thought. Rookie mistake dropping it in the first place. But you live and learn u guess. The hole was big.I donto think I punctured the membrane as there was no blood or liquid in general. Pipping was another concern. I hope the chick decides to pip somewhere on the other side. As far as how far along the egg is. I'm guessing 12-16 days based on pics I've seen online. It's our first time hatching so we're not too knowledgeable on the incubating process. Right now we're hoping for the best. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom