Unbelievable ..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melodym78, Feb 7, 2012.

1. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    I went into my bathroom where my brooder and incubator are because I heard the chicks really peeping loud. Usually means the light is off or no food. But oddly enough the noise was not coming from my brooder, it was coming from my incubator! How could that be. The eggs were not suppose to hatch until the 10th. I was getting ready to put them into lockdown tonight. But sure enough there between the turning egg trays was a little grey fuzzball peeping his head off! Now if that wasn't incredible enough this all transpired under dry hatch conditions. All those times I fret and worry and this little Guy hatches out just fine! Ya just never know!

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Wow! Talk about defying the odds.

Name him Earl. Which is short for "early." [​IMG]

3. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Amazing! Are the chicks in the brooder too big for him to join them, or is he going to have to be lonely for another couple of days?

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Wow EARL is appropriate.Probably too late now but double check on temp on Inc ..Early (play on words) usually means running a little high Temp.But sometimes God just sends a Little Messenger to say get ready were coming...cva34

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I once had a Jersey Giant to hatch while the turner was still running on day 18. Most times you hear that those can run late rather than early. I figure that the egg must have developed some during the intense heat we were having at the time (it was in the 100s for days on end) despite the fact I bring in eggs every day. You just never know sometimes!

6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Wow, I would love to wake up to that surprise!!

7. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana

temps stayed steady at 100,..He is in with only 2 other chicks just a week older so he is fine..I did just get up to find the other chick in the picture with him hatched out...he would be a day early!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    What I am saying is maybe it was saying 100 f .And really was 101 or 102. If in doubt compare it with a couple other thermometers ...cva34

9. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    I have two meat thermometer,1 conventional and 1 digital and a fish tank thermometer...all stay consistant at same temp...trust me I drive myself NUTS watching my temps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by