Under The Fig Tree (picture and question) newbee

Quote:
Look for pointed saddle and hackle feathers, large red combs and tail feathers that are beginning to curve. I bet you could find some pullets about the same age in your area on craigslist or in the local paper. Lots of folks are selling chickens this time of year. If you are trying to decide which one to keep, just FYI, the Cochin will be huge, but probably pretty docile. The Polish will probably be kind of crazy and wild. They can't see very well and it tends to make them nervous. ha

I think I may have to start over.
Can I keep 1 rooster and add 3 hen chicks to the coop?

It looks like they're all hens to me. At 2 months old I believe you'd definitely see the hackle feathers and the more pointed tails of roosters. Granted, I can't see close enough to see the hackle feathers but the tails look like hens to me... I've been through many roosters and I knew by 2 months old if they were or not. This isn't a promise mind you but an educated guess... Usually, they're crowing by now also.

Can you get us a close up full body video of each bird??? We can then look for the pointed hackle feathers (but I still say the tails look like females
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
You can see curved tail feathers on all three red ones. I'm pretty sure I see pointed saddle feathers on the Polish. The Cochin is a bit harder to be sure of. The Easter Egger (black and white) has a huge red comb for that age. I'd bet money that it's a rooster and so are the RIRs.

Reece, You might want to post pictures in the What Breed and Gender section to get more opinions.

A couple of those looked like RIR to me, and since i have some that age, i feel i can say pretty definitely that these are boys.

The females' combs don't turn red until later (much less, get so large). I don't even have to see the hackles. The combs give it away.

So sorry you got all boys, Reece.

But welcome to BYC from a fellow Texan. I'm about an hour north in San Jacinto co.

As to the chicken wire, i can testify that i lost a whole flock that way. I also didn't have dogs at the time. We have now built a solid coop for our girls to sleep in at night, and we got a pack of good mutt dogs that pee everywhere and bark at everything and scare away all the wildlife. That combination is working well for us now.

Back
Top Bottom