Underdeveloped egg Advice please

The Noodle Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016

More info needed, before suggestions can be made:
How old is bird?
How long laying?
What and how exactly are you feeding?

Looks like a shell gland glitch......as to why, see above more info needed.

I have three hens they are all about 19-20 weeks old. Two out of three are laying. I feed them all poultry feed from the local farm store. All of there past eggs have looked healthy. They have been laying for two weeks now

The third girl has been squatting for a week now. Do you think this may be her first egg?

I have three hens they are all about 19-20 weeks old. Two out of three are laying. I feed them all poultry feed from the local farm store. All of there past eggs have looked healthy. They have been laying for two weeks now

The third girl has been squatting for a week now. Do you think this may be her first egg?

It may be her first egg. How much protein is in all poultry feed? They should have at least 16% protein. Along with access to grit

Thank you for the info! I just got back from the store. I bought oyster shells and grit. I will see if I still have the feed bag to check the protein %
1f60a.png

Not unusual for a new layers to lay some funky eggs...I'd not worry unless it happens frequently.

Take a look at this thread...
 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697007/weird-or-odd-eggs-pics
to see just how weird some eggs can be.

Put the oyster shell and grit in separate containers...do not mix them in with the feed.

OK, I put it in two separate bowls in their coop. Will they just find it themselves? (Silly question)
I had one normal egg when I went out there to put that stuff in the coop. Let's see if I get a third today then I'll know for sure if it was Tinkerbell's first egg.

Back
Top Bottom