Underdeveloped Muscovy egg day 32- lockdown?

LHP

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
I have a staggered group of Muscovy eggs in an incubator (I have a separate lockdown incubator running too). Temps have been 99-100 and humidity has been 35-45%. I’ve been chilling/misting since day 10. One has already hatched successfully.

This egg is on day 33 and has always been underdeveloped. I’ve been expecting it to quit, but it just keeps going! Lots of movement and bright veins, but there is a large empty veinless area. I wasn’t planning on putting in in lockdown yet since it didn’t look ready. Over the last couple days, it looks like it has grown quite a bit, but is still drastically smaller than the others.

I just candled and there’s some shadowing happening and it looks like it’s trying to pip. I panicked and put it in my lockdown incubator (98 degrees 70%) but I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do. Any advice?

B60037C9-8DEE-4503-A938-87D149795066.jpeg

Doesn't look half-bad for day 32? He's likely gonna hatch a little late, day 36/37 maybe. Still within the "parameters". If he's weak he might need some assisting when the time comes.

If your hatcher is one open space in might be bad for him as he'll get knocked around a lot. So keeping him in the regular incubator at least another day might be a good idea if you don't have very young eggs that need turning. Or put him in a corner in the hatcher so he'll be left alone.

Last edited:
Thank you! The hatcher only has one other egg in there, so I guess I’ll just keep a close on him and put up a barrier if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom