Undersized Baby Chick

skyhan

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
I'm just babysitting these chicks, I'm not sure how old they are. There are five and there is this one small black one that is really undersized, all the other chicks peck at her and step on her a lot. I'm concerned she might die because they shove her out of the way while she is eating. I've put her in her own box and let her eat for a little then put her back with the others. She isn't very active and mostly just sits around and sleeps, when I put her in with the others she begins to cheep almost non stop, when I take her out she cheeps, when I hold her she cheeps. I have no idea what to do, should I continue feeding her separately? Completely isolate her so she doesn't get trampled and pecked at? Should I be feeding her something special. She is really frail.

I would keep her alone. How long are you going to be watching them? Make sure that she has plenty of food and water, and keep her warm. Is there any way you could post a picture? Knowing their age and/or size would help......

when you take her out to eat you might moisten her feed with some warm sugar water. they love it and the food may be a bit big for her.

Back
Top Bottom