Understanding Basic Colour genetics (Mallards/Derivitives)

Sorry, making some changes but ran out of time, the bit on Mallard Series is still not complete & will take some time to do so, have re-posted but disregard that section for now, thanks

Last edited:
I learned about this in school.
thumbsup.gif

If i cross a

saxony M+/M+, li/li, e+/e+, Bl/Bl, D+/-, Bu+/-, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+.

With a M+/M+, Li+/Li+, e+/e+, bl+/bl+, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+.

and get a M+/M+, Li+/li, e+/e+, Bl/bl+, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+.

Even know the result is heterozygous for dark phase and blue dilution since both Li and Bl are dominant will it have the same/close coloration as

M+/M+, Li+/Li+, e+/e+, Bl/Bl, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+

????

Thank you
smile.png

Kansas Kid, if you cross:-

Saxony = M+/M+, li/li, e+/e+, Bl/Bl, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+

with

Wild-type (as in Mallard) = M+/M+, Li+/Li+, e+/e+, bl+/bl+, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+

then you should get = M+/M+, Li+/li, e+/e+, Bl/bl+, D+/D+, Bu+/Bu+, C+/C+, s+/s+, B+/B+, W+/W+, r+/r+, y+/y+ as you have said, ie, similar to Blue fawn.

Progeny will be heterozygous (or impure) @ two loci, ie, Li+/li & Bl/bl+, while all other loci would remain homozygous (pure) for wild-type as you have shown

Yes, Both Li+ & Bl are dominant (incompletely so for Bl) over each of their respective alleles li & bl+ as I understand. The dark phase allele (Li+) should darken plumage generally (think wild Mallards vs Rouen Claire colouration). Those birds that inherit one dose of blue (Bl/bl+) should look similar generally to Blue Fawn Mallards, while those with two doses of blue (Bl/Bl) should look similar generally to Apricot Mallards ( I think you may call these Pastels?). Two doses of blue should lighten & even plumage, eg, lacing/chevrons removed in female. Try googling Blue Fawn & Apricot Mallards, or following examples may be helpful:-

Pastels http://www.sherborneducks.co.uk/nscusadef_4.htm

Blue
Fawns http://www.sherborneducks.co.uk/USAColours-BlueFawn.htm

Cheers

you can use our photo of our Pekin girl for the white duck example it says you need.

I will probably soon have some black swedish to photograph for bibbed examples, and a buff.

Hi
I was looking at the pic of your white duck on the forum, could you tel me what colour are her eyes they look pink if so very rare. We have a pink eyed drake mallard.

Regards Ann

Bringing this up because I'm trying to figure some things out about a hatch here. What would you genetics experts call these Khaki Campbells? Light phase, dusky, dilute? This pic was during Spring Moult, so probly not the best pic ever. I'm trying to tell the difference between Rouen x Khaki Campbell vs the dark phase. Are eye stripes always limited to Rouens? I have another thread on that, if you have any advice, please advise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom