Understanding Basic Colour genetics (Mallards/Derivitives)

What kind of ducks are these??

Wow, that's a ton of great information. Thank you for posting!

I'm brand new to color genetics and not sure I understand. I have a flock of Saxony ducks and I have a pair of Khaki Campbells. Is there any cross between them that would give me sex-linked ducklings? If I bred the KC drake to my Saxony hens would I get chocolate female ducklings?

Do you have pedigrees and blood tests to back up your calling. Because what i am seeing is mutts. Your birds are most likely mallard derivatives, a mallard is a breed. You most likely have black swedish or a mix of mallard and black swedish

Can your ducks fly ?
All are mallard, and have the same size of a common mallard. None is hybrid. His brothers some are white and others have wild pattern. This is the photo of the parents of these ducks

Also in this picture none of those babies are wild pattern proving the statement of mixed breed.

I have true melanistic mallards that have been blood tested and have a pedigree going back 50 years showing the melanistic properties occurring in 2011. I have also owned no other breeds than mallard and muscovies.

I have no pedigree tests and have no interest for now. So from the beginning I asked about the color of ducks if there is some variety with this standard, and what would be. Anyway they are all the same species, and we are in genetics topic so we can talk about mutations without the need of purity. I am a biologist, the word "hybrid" sounds like a mix between two distinct species, not between breeds. Sorry for the mistake.
I'm not a professional duck breeder, sorry to call Mallard, did not know a common name to differentiate them from Muscovy. So I opted to take the common name found in Avibase (1).

Really none of the babies in the photo have the wild pattern. Those who have are from the previous brood, the picture was placed to demonstrate the couple.

Not sure if my ducks can fly. But I have seen some that flying at the place where I bought.

Besides these ducks I have geese, peacocks, pheasants, quails, partridges, chickens, parakeets, lovebirds and other bird species.

So Black swedish? Thank you!

(1) http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?avibaseid=07FFC1E5643AE054

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom