Understanding Chicken Math

Pics
I'm guilty too! I went to just go and 'look' at the chickens in the pet shop, and promised myself I wouldn't buy any. But I had to break my promise when I saw these adorable black and white speckled pullets, and a jet black rooster. I decided only to buy two pullets. Then I made it three....maybe four....and I came home with: Sophie, Tilly, Domino, Sweet Pea and Molly. Wait, that's five isn't it??!! Well, what can I say, it's chicken math!! It's NEVER accurate!!!!
lau.gif

Last edited:
I'm guilty too! I went to just go and 'look' at the chickens in the pet shop, and promised myself I wouldn't buy any. But I had to break my promise when I saw these adorable black and white speckled pullets, and a jet black rooster. I decided only to buy two pullets. Then I made it three....maybe four....and I came home with: Sophie, Tilly, Domino, Sweet Pea and Molly. Wait, that's five isn't it??!! Well, what can I say, it's chicken math!! It's NEVER accurate!!!!
lau.gif
Love it!!

My chicken story started out with a few drinks and a "hey since you won't let me have a goat, how about some chickens". Which was 3 or 4 chickens. Currently I have 16 chickens, 8 more coming today. My friend is supposed to take half. But they are 2 weeks old, I hate to separate them :)

I get chicken math!

My chicken story started out with a few drinks and a "hey since you won't let me have a goat, how about some chickens". Which was 3 or 4 chickens. Currently I have 16 chickens, 8 more coming today. My friend is supposed to take half. But they are 2 weeks old, I hate to separate them :)

I get chicken math!

Lol, that's a great way to start!

We decided the free chicks they're giving away with a bag of feed purchase don't count, either. So now I've got a dozen barred rock chicks that "aren't there". Course, none of the chicks really count, neither do the bantams (even though they started laying like gangbusters two weeks ago
smile.png
). The roo is iffy, like half a chicken. And the pullets from last year aren't really that old (okay they're a year and laying great) so they don't really count. So where do all these eggs come from if I have no chickens?
yuckyuck.gif

So the logorithm is: Free chicks don't count; non-laying hens don't count; roos count as half; bantams (no matter laying status) don't count.

Can we agree that ornamental breeds don't count too? That would free up a lot more inventory for some. And, while we are at it, game birds count only as 1/2 as well. And meat birds count as negatives on processing months, so you can get twice as many to replenish.

big_smile.png

So the logorithm is: Free chicks don't count; non-laying hens don't count; roos count as half; bantams (no matter laying status) don't count.

Can we agree that ornamental breeds don't count too? That would free up a lot more inventory for some. And, while we are at it, game birds count only as 1/2 as well. And meat birds count as negatives on processing months, so you can get twice as many to replenish. 

:D

Exactly lol

Back
Top Bottom