Understanding the lavender gene

PouletsDeCajun, you know both of those birds look great.
thumbsup.gif

i think regardless what was used to get them.. i do like the roo in the second pic, nice body on him as well..
yippiechickie.gif

Charlie

sorry but i cannot help make comment here as things irritated me, i was googling studies on the gene lavender and found this by mistake. i cannot understand why no one else has cleaned this up

your mutts are eb or e+ as your definition of the chicken down is not concise enough to tell the difference, i will assume eb (partridge). these would only be displayed if both parents carried the gene or one parent was wheaten (ewh) and the other eb. nothing to fret about more it would be exciting, now you can make lavender partridge by selection of your eb chickens. lavender partridge is a beautiful colour in itself and on normal feathered laced birds it is positively stunning.

mating your bird to white. well is your white a recessive white or a doinant white? or is your white made from silver? all questions to ask yourself. we will assume it is recessive white and we will assume your lavender is a lavender black [of being a lavender black we call the base E or ER but hard to tell the difference. E and ER are in the same places as eb and ewh (wheaten) and e+]. so what will happen? well if your lavender bird is 2 doses of E or ER it will not matter what the white bird is as you will get either blacks or birchins or brown reds...again depending on the presence of other genes and these being silver or gold gene.

so really it is not just a matter of if your bird is lavender it is what the other genes are. lavender is just a diluter, it dilutes gold and it dilutes black, it does not change what the underlying factors are be they solid black (E or ER) or partridge (eb or e+) or wheaten (ewh).

Back
Top Bottom