Underweight and white in hens throat*PIC INCLUDED*

If it is canker, I would treat all your chickens for metronidazole because it can spread pretty easily, and canker isn’t always visible even if a chicken has it. I wouldn’t try to remove the gunk from her throat/mouth as that could cause bleeding. You can still tube feed her, and probably should if she’s thin.

No, wait.I'm thinking of coryza that smells bad. Canker may not have an odor. But if pigeons are in the immediate neighborhood, it points to this hen having canker.

There is a danger she can suffocate. So you will need to keep checking her airway to be sure it's not clogged with plaque. If it is, you need to scrape it away from the airway and also the esophagus which is on her right side of her throat so she can swallow her food. This may bleed when you try to remove the plaque. But it's better than her dying.

Canker does have a bad foul odor.

Thrush would be yeasty.

Does this chick also have an eye infection?
Yes, her eye is crusted over. I got her and some other birds about a month ago. Kept them all quarantined. I noticed one of the other birds that came with her has been sneezing. I haven't had this issue ever before. But after handling her, my hands did smell like soured feed.

You're right that Coryza has a bad odor too.
Her eye is crusted shut. I got her and other birds about a month ago. They have been kept in quarantine. I noticed another hen was sneezing so I inspected all of them. The breeder I got them from is reputable, but they were brought to me by another lady that was picking up different poultry to be brought back to my state.

Back
Top Bottom