Undeveloped Egg or Popped Latex Balloon

SuziQ18

Songster
Feb 17, 2017
Pacoima, CA
My Coop
My Coop
At first I thought I had found a piece of a popped latex balloon while cleaning my coop floor (It was the morning after the 4th of July so I thought nothing of it and just tossed it in the trash). Then I found another one a day or so later, and another one this morning. I was concerned that I might have a cannibal among my flock (I have also found a crushed and trampled eggshell on the floor previously, but without this popped balloon substance). Thank you experts that know about this problem. Crazy Chicken Lady
DSCN0740.JPG
, or it was just an egg that didn't quite make it to be a full egg. Any thoughts on this. I am thinking undeveloped egg.

My girl layed this shell-less egg in front of my cookout guests on Sunday July 9th. I had to cover it to keep her from eating it. I have found soft shells with residual contents in the coop for a few weeks now. She eats layer food with added oyster shells along with the other 4 girls. I also provide them with yogurt as a snack. Has anyone dealt with this?

Attachments

• IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 9
Calcium Deficiency
Thank you for the response. I was wondering if it was lack of calcium but I feed them Layena with Calcium Oyster shell, give yogurt once a week, Kale, Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, bok choy, etc. all for the calcium content. They also have dishes of oyster shell separately from their daily feed. What else can I supply them for added calcium? Thanks so much for getting back to me.

My girl layed this shell-less egg in front of my cookout guests on Sunday July 9th. I had to cover it to keep her from eating it. I have found soft shells with residual contents in the coop for a few weeks now. She eats layer food with added oyster shells along with the other 4 girls. I also provide them with yogurt as a snack. Has anyone dealt with this?
I just posted a pic of what at first appeared to be a popped latex balloon. I have found 3 of these so far and realized it is or was trying to become an egg. I feed Layena with calcium and oyster shell, yogurt, kale, bok choy, sesame seeds, etc. to provide extra calcium. Don't know which chicken is leaving them.

I ha
Looks like a soft shelled egg that got eaten by the chickens. If you're not already offering oyster shells, now is a good time to start.
I feed Layena with calcium and oyster shell for their daily feed, as well as giving them yogurt, kale, bok choy, sesame seeds, etc. to boost their calcium. What else can I offer them to help with this problem. Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Yeah, if you're not giving them a lot of treats, and they're eating a lot layers feed, they need the vitamins, minerals and amino acids in the feed to absorb calcium and enough feeder space so all can eat at the same time. And you offer oyster shell in a separate container, and plenty of clean water. Then stress can cause them to release an egg before the shell is applied. Such as loud noises, cramped quarters. Mites, lice and worms in over abundance. GC

Yeah, if you're not giving them a lot of treats, and they're eating a lot layers feed, they need the vitamins, minerals and amino acids in the feed to absorb calcium and enough feeder space so all can eat at the same time. And you offer oyster shell in a separate container, and plenty of clean water. Then stress can cause them to release an egg before the shell is applied. Such as loud noises, cramped quarters. Mites, lice and worms in over abundance. GC
I was wondering if the fire works this past month has affected her

Soft shelled eggs are not uncommon, especially with new layers.
More calcium is not always the answer.
Sometimes they are caused by lack of calcium, or lack of the vitamins/minerals/amino acids needed to absorb and utilize the calcium provided in the diet.
Sometimes it's just a glitch in the system as it starts up, or ramps down, production of eggs.

First questions should always be,
how old are the birds and how long have they been laying?

Next is,
what and how exactly are you feeding?

In this case I would say too many extras are diluting the nutrition of the layer feed.
I would suggest cutting back to only the basic layer feed for a week or two.
Oyster shell should be in a separate container for if they need it, not mixed into feed.
Any treats (less than 10% of daily ration volume) should be high protein, preferably animal protein.

Oh, and, soft and thin shelled eggs are easily broken and fair game for eating,
it won't make the egg eaters or 'cannibals'...but it is best to grab those eggs quickly just to avoid the mess they can make in the nests.

ETA: I type much slower than GC Raptor :D

Back
Top Bottom