Undeveloped Egg or Popped Latex Balloon

I was wondering if the fire works this past month has affected her
Could be. Mine are accustomed to loud noises as I was nailing hardware cloth on their raised coop when they were inside at 6 weeks of age and of course mowing the lawn.
The fireworks didn't seem to bother my girls. But if I sneeze near them they are startled. GC

I got two of those as the "first" eggs of one (or two?) of my young hens. Next day she laid a pretty but very small egg, complete with hard shell. No eggs today though... The ones laying are SexLinks. The ones the same age I'm waiting for are a Wyandott of some kind and a barred rock. My roommates say I"m obsessed. It's true. I am. I run out every time I hear a cackle. LAY, darn hens, LAY!
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg

Yeah, if you're not giving them a lot of treats, and they're eating a lot layers feed, they need the vitamins, minerals and amino acids in the feed to absorb calcium and enough feeder space so all can eat at the same time. And you offer oyster shell in a separate container, and plenty of clean water. Then stress can cause them to release an egg before the shell is applied. Such as loud noises, cramped quarters. Mites, lice and worms in over abundance. GC
Yeah, if you're not giving them a lot of treats, and they're eating a lot layers feed, they need the vitamins, minerals and amino acids in the feed to absorb calcium and enough feeder space so all can eat at the same time. And you offer oyster shell in a separate container, and plenty of clean water. Then stress can cause them to release an egg before the shell is applied. Such as loud noises, cramped quarters. Mites, lice and worms in over abundance. GC
Well the coop/run is 147 sq.ft. for 12 chickens, so cramped is not an issue. Neither is lices, mites, etc. They get fresh water every morning in 2 self-waterers (4 gallon waterers each). I only feed Layena with calcium and oyster shell feed, in a 3 gallon self-feeder, along with separate bowls of fresh greens, yogurt, sesame seeds, cooked white beans, etc, for boosted calcium), and separate dishes with just oyster shell grit for free-feeding when they need it. I don't feed treats except for meal worms, which I understand are great calcium). My chickens are between 6 and 8 months old and only have 5 laying consistently right now. Maybe it is a new layer?? I just can't seem to catch which ever one is doing this in the act. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your time and advice so much. Crazy Chicken Lady

Well the coop/run is 147 sq.ft. for 12 chickens, so cramped is not an issue. Neither is lices, mites, etc. They get fresh water every morning in 2 self-waterers (4 gallon waterers each). I only feed Layena with calcium and oyster shell feed, in a 3 gallon self-feeder, along with separate bowls of fresh greens, yogurt, sesame seeds, cooked white beans, etc, for boosted calcium), and separate dishes with just oyster shell grit for free-feeding when they need it. I don't feed treats except for meal worms, which I understand are great calcium). My chickens are between 6 and 8 months old and only have 5 laying consistently right now. Maybe it is a new layer?? I just can't seem to catch which ever one is doing this in the act. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your time and advice so much. Crazy Chicken Lady
Yeah I failed to say a new layer, but aart did so I didn't update. Yes unless you watch constantly without blinking, it's hard to catch them laying a soft shell. My girl Blondie I've caught her twice. She will stand still a few minutes and it would pop out. If I blinked I would've missed it. I don't know if yours would do it that way, but if you see one of your girls standing still, keep an eye on her. GC

Soft shelled eggs are not uncommon, especially with new layers.
More calcium is not always the answer.
Sometimes they are caused by lack of calcium, or lack of the vitamins/minerals/amino acids needed to absorb and utilize the calcium provided in the diet.
Sometimes it's just a glitch in the system as it starts up, or ramps down, production of eggs.

First questions should always be,
how old are the birds and how long have they been laying?

Next is,
what and how exactly are you feeding?

In this case I would say too many extras are diluting the nutrition of the layer feed.
I would suggest cutting back to only the basic layer feed for a week or two.
Oyster shell should be in a separate container for if they need it, not mixed into feed.
Any treats (less than 10% of daily ration volume) should be high protein, preferably animal protein.

Oh, and, soft and thin shelled eggs are easily broken and fair game for eating,
it won't make the egg eaters or 'cannibals'...but it is best to grab those eggs quickly just to avoid the mess they can make in the nests.

ETA: I type much slower than GC Raptor :D
aart, when you say they need vitamins/minerals/amino acids provided in the diet, do you mean just is provided in their meal or should I be adding extra? My chickens aren't laying yet but I want to be sure I'm doing right by them.

Chicken feeds, as in layers, flock raiser and start and grow feed, have all the vitamins minerals and amino acids in them. That's why it's important that most of what they eat is chicken feed. Not to much scratch grains, corn or kitchen scraps. GC

Chicken feeds, as in layers, flock raiser and start and grow feed, have all the vitamins minerals and amino acids in them. That's why it's important that most of what they eat is chicken feed. Not to much scratch grains, corn or kitchen scraps. GC
Thank you GC-Raptor. They've only had scratch once since we've gotten them. They do get frozen watermelon pieces and frozen seedless grapes occasionally since it's been hot and humid lately.

Yeah I failed to say a new layer, but aart did so I didn't update. Yes unless you watch constantly without blinking, it's hard to catch them laying a soft shell. My girl Blondie I've caught her twice. She will stand still a few minutes and it would pop out. If I blinked I would've missed it. I don't know if yours would do it that way, but if you see one of your girls standing still, keep an eye on her. GC
Thanks! I am much more relieved because I get plenty of great eggs every day from the rest of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom