Undying urge to hatch more eggs...

But I don’t have enough room for one more chick. Though you should have seen me peeking my head in at the feed store to look at all the little chicks and ducks... I was like, hmmm, ducks next? Ooohh! They have silkies? And Cochins? And wait, are those silver laced Wyandottes?
I am right there with you Lemon Drop. Have 21 chickens but could not resist Lavender Oprs and Blue Plymouth Rocks and then just to make an even number got some Novogens, whick are sex links, so no roosters. It does not end when it is spring. Cannot help it!!!
Have plenty of room , just put an addition on the coop.

We have forty-something hens and pullets, most pullets are POL already... then my wife bought three silkie chicks and ten (I think ten) turkeys. Plus she just put 18 eggs from our Auracanas into the incubator along with two eggs from our lone white leghorn. She promised a friend from church that she'd hatch some of our Lavenders for her. The lady wanted 5 or 6. Soooo....

Lucky we have enough land, enough fencing, enough lumber to build coops and pens and chicken tractors... and God blessed us with folks who buy enough eggs to keep the feed bill paid for.
You sound like a great hubby. I had a great one too, anything that made me happy, within reason.

I too want to get an incubator. My girls aren't even laying yet! Lol I know that there is an incubator coming in the future. I will use this time to research the best incubator for my needs. If any of you have a favorite incubator or tips for getting a high hatch rate,please let me know.
And that's the trick, finding a good Incubator. I did some research myself but all in all, a really good is gonna cost more, as with every thing else. I couldnt afford a really good one, but a bought a Chinese made one on Ebay, for a about $46.00 and It's done well for me, so far. However, I do suggest, if you can afford a really good one, do it! It's worth the investment. 😊

I've never hatched any eggs but I bought an incubator on sale last summer. We're moving to a new house, and I'm dying to hatch either some royal palm turkeys or silver appleyard ducks to add some meat options. We don't want a rooster, so the chickens are strictly for eggs and I'd like to diversify our homestead production. My family thinks I'm nuts, but I love the idea of a home raised turkey for our first Thanksgiving in our first house.

But, yes, I haven't hatched anything yet and I'm already wondering if we else we should try hatching next year lol.

Does the urge to constantly put more eggs in the incubator ever go away? Honestly this must be how broody hens feel. As soon as it got warm out it's like all I've wanted to do is hatch more chickens/ducks/etc 😂. I swear if I had more room I'd probably have like 5 incubators going. It's so addicting. Anyone have this problem? 😅
No the urge just gets worse.
Hi my name is Moony and I have a problem.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ready-having-withdraws.1203778/#post-19082246

I've never hatched any eggs but I bought an incubator on sale last summer. We're moving to a new house, and I'm dying to hatch either some royal palm turkeys or silver appleyard ducks to add some meat options. We don't want a rooster, so the chickens are strictly for eggs and I'd like to diversify our homestead production. My family thinks I'm nuts, but I love the idea of a home raised turkey for our first Thanksgiving in our first house.

But, yes, I haven't hatched anything yet and I'm already wondering if we else we should try hatching next year lol.
Start researching different ways to cull poultry that you can live with. It helps to be prepared emotionally and physically for the process.

Yes I have the same addiction!! I said I was NOT hatching this year. I have a brooder box full of chicks, and my outside juvenille pen has about 10’chicks in it and my incubators are full again! I’ve sat at the incubator today and watched 4 chicks hatch. I give my chicks away to anybody that wants some. I have a mixed flock of mostly Brahmas. I rarely keep any myself To add to my flock but I should. My original hens are 2.5 yrs old so I need some pullets to add to them. People keep bringing back the rooster though! 😩Now I have 6 roosters. 🤣

And that's the trick, finding a good Incubator. I did some research myself but all in all, a really good is gonna cost more, as with every thing else. I couldnt afford a really good one, but a bought a Chinese made one on Ebay, for a about $46.00 and It's done well for me, so far. However, I do suggest, if you can afford a really good one, do it! It's worth the investment.

And that's the trick, finding a good Incubator. I did some research myself but all in all, a really good is gonna cost more, as with every thing else. I couldnt afford a really good one, but a bought a Chinese made one on Ebay, for a about $46.00 and It's done well for me, so far. However, I do suggest, if you can afford a really good one, do it! It's worth the investment. 😊
There is some many varieties available that its hard to decide. You can spend a bunch of money and still not get a high percentage of hatch rate. My ultimate goal is to have a high hatch percentage. I also think that even a broody hen may fail to have a 100% hatch rate!

I said I was gonna make myself stop after these 40 I have set hatch this weekend. Then I started saving eggs again. :idunno
HAS TO BE A BAD BUG GOING AROUND!!!!!!!!! I HAVE IT TOO!!! GOT CHICKS COMING OUT MY EARS!!!!!!!!
Im Good GIF by Adult Swim

Back
Top Bottom