Unemployment Benefits

Everyone who is unemployed at this time has all my sympathy. Until my youngest daughter became unemployed last year, I had never really thought about it. If I'm honest, I would probably say that there must be work out there somewhere. Her experience has completely changed my attitude. She has applied for hundreds of jobs. Some I swear never existed. She had filed online applications and had a rejection 2 hours later! She has taken every course offered by the job centre but to no avail. The feelings of hopeless and the gradual erosion of self esteem is painful for us as her parents to watch. She has done all kinds of voluntary work to feel that she is a useful member of society. When we raised our children with a strong work ethic, we had no idea how destructive unemployment is for the worker who can't find work.

For her, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. She is to be married in 2 weeks and will be moving to a more urban environment where we all hope there will be more jobs available. My advice, for what it is worth is this. Get qualifications in the service industries. There will be no shortage of old people's homes in the years ahead given our aging population. No matter how lean the times, those with money will always want luxuries. Expensive restaurant meals (go to catering college), top class hotels (hospitality) and of course the growth of health spas (personal fitness, massage etc.). We must once again adapt to fit our changed environment. My best wishes to all who are job hunting, may you be lucky soon!

Everyone who is unemployed at this time has all my sympathy. Until my youngest daughter became unemployed last year, I had never really thought about it. If I'm honest, I would probably say that there must be work out there somewhere. Her experience has completely changed my attitude. She has applied for hundreds of jobs. Some I swear never existed. She had filed online applications and had a rejection 2 hours later! She has taken every course offered by the job centre but to no avail. The feelings of hopeless and the gradual erosion of self esteem is painful for us as her parents to watch. She has done all kinds of voluntary work to feel that she is a useful member of society. When we raised our children with a strong work ethic, we had no idea how destructive unemployment is for the worker who can't find work.

For her, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. She is to be married in 2 weeks and will be moving to a more urban environment where we all hope there will be more jobs available. My advice, for what it is worth is this. Get qualifications in the service industries. There will be no shortage of old people's homes in the years ahead given our aging population. No matter how lean the times, those with money will always want luxuries. Expensive restaurant meals (go to catering college), top class hotels (hospitality) and of course the growth of health spas (personal fitness, massage etc.). We must once again adapt to fit our changed environment. My best wishes to all who are job hunting, may you be lucky soon!

True health care jobs (hospitals, nursing homes, hospice etc) is a good idea to get trained or educated in or if you remember the 2 certainties in life are, than those career fields will always have demand, I mean I doubt if the government will stop taxing people and until there is either no more people or a cure for death then burial/cremation services (or supporting fields like cemetery maintenance, grave digging memorial headstone carving and specialty printing jobs (not just the little "bulletin" at the registry desk but photo editing (taking a photo and superimposing it on a nice background with a poem or scripture) and slide shows for the showing/funeral).......

Some areas are worse than others for employment. My best friend has worked and lived in Orlando for 20 years. Lost his job in October, couldn't find work. Looked for 4 months, out of money, called me. I hitched up a car trailer, went to Orlando, got him and his truck and hauled him to stay with us. He got an interview the day we got back, and a steady job in less than 3 weeks. Couldn't get a job at Wallys World in Orlando, got a $25 an hour job here.

That's what I mean... People treat you like garbage in retail and think your a nobody and they seem to act all rich. It's only worth it if your a manager and that's it.
The same could be said with working in security, too.
wink.png
I've worked in security since 2005 and now work at a major hospital in the area. As a security officer I am expected to not sit down for a twelve and a half hour shift, get an hour "Off" for lunch but I am never given that time off since I'm expected to respond to any calls that are sent my way. I just got off work today and I believe I actually was able to sit for five minutes to scarf down the food (an hour after I bought it since I got a call as I was paying for it) before I had to rush off for the next call.

Still, it is the mantra of everyone at the hospital, "At least we have a job; especially in this economy." For all of us that have job, we'd best remember that there are so many waiting for our jobs that we can't take them for granted.

There are a ton of jobs: you just need state licensure, four kinds of certifications, advanced degrees, plus five years of experience, and be willing to work for $9 an hour.

Remember when you could get hired for a job because you had apptitude for the work? It is now a business: all set up to protect the public, of course.

The florida job board now prescreens your qualifications for companies. No chance to even try to sell yourself. Heck, I even offered to work for free for a week so the people could see for themselves I could do the job... Nada....

I have a degree, but no experience. Can't get a license in psychology without at least a Master's, and can't afford more school. i used my savings to pay for undergrad education. Got offered an interview. One interview. They asked if I was willing to restrain violent teenage girls who might be punching, kicking, biting, scratching on top of verbally abusive...uh, noooo, not so much!

The thought of going back corporate is just too much. Why should I work my bottom off for peanuts to help someone else to make big money?

No, I will have my own small business this year, and I will put the payoff for all my hard work right into my own pocket... Becoming more food self sufficient lowers our financial needs, too, and I think it is healthier.

Seriously, I see us moving back to a barter society eventually. The government is trying hard to keep that from happening, but they can't stop it. I knew it back in the 80's when they started requiring children to get social security numbers, and parents to report who was babysitting for tax benefits: now sitters have to be licensed, regulated, trained, sealed and approved by the state.... Then they have to comply with a bunch of rules...remember the lady who got in trouble for watching neighborhood kids after they were bussed home? Watching them for too many hours requires a license! Sigh....

Back
Top Bottom