Unexpected rooster

ilovedragons2

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Eastern OHIO
I bought a few easteregger chicks that were supposed to be pullets, HOWEVER, one of them just started crowing. I already have an older rooster (Louie) so I am worried that the young rooster will be the death of Louie. I see that easteregger chickens are pretty docile and am wondering if it would be sage to return him to the flock. I had thought HE was a SHE and was just being a bully and separated him from the others for a while. Now that I know that it's a rooster I want to know if I really need to re-home him or if it would be safe to return him to the flock. He "bullied" one of the hens to the point where she would hide in the coop most of the time. There has been no injuries so far. I really don't want to get rid of a pet, but for the safety of the flock I may have to. Could he be separated from the rest of the flock in a separate run/coop and still be happy?

How old is he,and when was the last tim he come in contact with them,also how many hens do you have?

I always try to suggest that you should not keep any more roosters than you need to meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed more problems with more roosters but that problems are more likely. It is up to you to determine your goals.

Can the two get along? Who knows. That will depend on their individual personalities, how much room you have, and who knows what else. With living animals you just don't get guarantees on how they will behave. Many people keep multiple roosters and it is not a big deal. At other times it can lead to the death of one.

You can keep one in a open by himself or with a few hens. Give each one a harem. You may he able to keep both together in a bachelor pad as long as they don't have any females to fight over. You have different options. If the younger grows up in the flock with the older one they tend to get along better, but when that younger one matures he will likely challenge the older. You just never know how it will turn out.

I don’t think you have enough girls to carry the roosters.You could separate him,but it’s best you find him some pullets.Does Louie not have any girls?
Nobody knows if they will get along,but it’s a good possibility.
Louie is about 5 or 6. The new rooster (Amelio) is just about 4 mo. old. I have 7 hens the same age as Amelio.

Louie has 7 girls. I had thought that Amelio was just an aggressive hen and separated him for re-set the pecking order. I'm just undecided on what to do. I'm leaning toward making another small coop/run inside the bigger one just for him. I'm worried that he's so aggressive in his mating with the other hens that he'll hurt them. He already had one hen hiding all the time.

That’s so common for a young rooster , I’d keep the young one as your old one is quiet old,

Keep little roo separate and allow him visitation each day ... the one hiding will get over it. I had one do that , she still runs but not as fast , it’s all natural we just have to let it play out unless someone’s getting hurt

The adolescent months as a cockerel matures can be hard to watch. His hormones are in control and the females just don't cooperate.

Again it is your goals but I'd seriously consider building that pen and keeping him in there until he is at least a year old. Then consider swapping him for the older rooster. Or keep him in reserve. It sounds like you are not interested in fertile eggs so there is no rush in replacing the older rooster as long as he gets along with the others. He may last a few more years or his quality of life in how the hens treat him may go downhill at any time.

Keep young roster separated,do not let him come in contact with the others unless it’s through a cage.Perosnally,if you plan on hatching,you should either separate your older guy and add the new guy to the flock,older man is likely at his reins end and can’t reproduce as well as your other one.

I also highly suggest you get some grow adult hens,they will put a four month old cockerel in his place.

Back
Top Bottom