Unexpected visitor

skota

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Madison, Wi

Last weekend I was working in the garage all afternoon. It was a cool day, around 40 out and I had the back door of the garage open. Just as I start cleaning up I spot this guy hanging out by the toolbox :).
Little guy stayed there all night too.
He stuck around for a few days and would show up outside from time to time and I'd give him some bird food.
I think I'm going to build a coop now on the ground and get a couple for pets. The plan is to build a pretty big enclosure using chicken wire from fleet farm and wood framing. Would cinder blocks work for a base to keep predators out? I'm hoping to build something that would simulate a natural environment. Also wondering if being based under cedar pines would be bad?
Thanks, Steve

CUTE! Love it. :)

Your plan sounds good to me. My little coturnix love being on the ground. I put wire under the ground under their pen, to keep out digging predators. I don't know whether it's necessary, but it gives me peace of mind. And I use very fine mesh wire--1/4" hardware mesh--at ground level, to keep raccoons from reaching through and grabbing body parts to eat (which they WILL do).

I don't see how cedar trees will hurt them any. They appreciate shade, and will love any undergrowth you can incorporate into the enclosure.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info.
I have two areas in the yard I'm considering. Do they mostly like to stay on the ground? One area has tons of small plants that would provide lots of coverage. The other area has the pines and I would need to add coverage plants. But they would also get the ability to hang out in the tree.

It depends on the species. I have coturnix, and they are definitely ground birds. They will almost never go up, even if there's a ramp. They just don't, in my experience. So if you're going for coturnix (and they come in a wide array of colors and lay amazing little eggs--LOTS of them), then I vote for the area that has brush & shrubs rather than the area under the cedars.

Also, you will need to have the top of the pen covered somehow. Hawks love a good meal of quail, as do climbing predators. Also, when startled, quail jump straight up, and can end up outside the enclosure where they are often lost and/or eaten. So it probably won't be practical for them to use the trees, even if they were inclined to do so. :)

Back
Top Bottom