Unexplained death of baby quail

iggas86

Hatching
Jul 5, 2016
I started out with over three hundred quail chicks last week. Over the past three days I've lost over a hundred. I cannot figure out why. Temp is right, plenty of feed and water. Before they die, they seem to lose balance. Still alert, when I pick them up they fight and kick their legs just fine. But cannot stand up straight, and then die within a few minutes. Every hour I go out and more are dead so I remove them all and check for sick/weak looking ones and they seem fine, but more die within 30-45 minutes. Anybody have any ideas? At this rate they'll ask be dead by end of the week..

Im really sorry to hear this. i Have absolutely no clue what is going on but I'm sure someone else on here will give you an answer. I hope the majority left live
smile.png

I started out with over three hundred quail chicks last week. Over the past three days I've lost over a hundred. I cannot figure out why. Temp is right, plenty of feed and water. Before they die, they seem to lose balance. Still alert, when I pick them up they fight and kick their legs just fine. But cannot stand up straight, and then die within a few minutes. Every hour I go out and more are dead so I remove them all and check for sick/weak looking ones and they seem fine, but more die within 30-45 minutes. Anybody have any ideas? At this rate they'll ask be dead by end of the week..

What are you using for bedding. We had this problem once and were using shavings as bedding. They will eat the shavings and literally starve to death because they get full of shaving and don't eat. If you don't use shavings then try giving the effected chicks some sugar water made with water and a little Karo syrup. This will give them a little extra energy boost.

What are you using for bedding. We had this problem once and were using shavings as bedding. They will eat the shavings and literally starve to death because they get full of shaving and don't eat. If you don't use shavings then try giving the effected chicks some sugar water made with water and a little Karo syrup. This will give them a little extra energy boost.

X2 made the same mistake my first year hatching quail
sad.png
I felt horrible!!!!!!!

X2 made the same mistake my first year hatching quail :(   I felt horrible!!!!!!!

So what do u guys use instead. Hay?

Ask your local feed store about I believe they're made out of recycled paper , their pellets and they're made specifically for bedding and yes you can also use straw.

So what do u guys use instead. Hay?

I put mine on crumbles with the shelf liner on the bottom...not the contact paper kind but the no slip kind. You can easily remove it to clean. BUT, I also didn't keep my quails past 6 weeks when they started to fly...I hatch in my classroom and rehome after they are 6 weeks old. maybe post the question on the quail thread?

Back
Top Bottom