Unhappy Neighbors -What to do about our cat.

While I would certainly use plenty of caution with craigslist, I don't think it's that odd that someone might be willing to drive that far for a cat.

This. He's already neutered. Their gas money for that is a lot less than the fee to spay/neuter a cat would be. When we adopted our last cat, we did some driving - about 30 miles. The owners getting her to us? Drove 80. Craigslist is littered with cats and kittens who are moderately, or not at all, taken care of - much less vetted. An adult, already altered, cat who has some sense? MUCH harder to come across (and admittedly harder to place).​

Quote:
I have to agree here 100% One of my cats, the one we've had the longest and the very first pet my husband and I ever got "together" (2 years before we were married and before we were actually engaged even), has had frequent urinary problems. He's very prone to urine crystals, which cause him to urinate outside of the box. Even on c/d prescription food for the type of crystals he has he would still get UTI's about twice a year (we have since switched to a different prescription food and he hasn't had a UTI in over 2 years) At one point, his urinary indiscretions became behavioral. We had to retrain him to use the litter box. It took about two months to get him back to using the litter box. During that time, we were giving him transdermal amitriptyline (an antidepressant in humans, is sometimes used to help treat behavioral urinary incontinence in cats) and he was segregated to our GSD's old airline crate with his own litter box. At first, even in such a confined space he didn't use the box. I was cleaning urine off the floor of the crate twice a day. Slowly he became better about using the box and we were able to wean him off the amitriptyline and back into the regular household. Fortunately, he has never had a relapse and all of his urinary indiscretions since then have been triggered by a UTI.

The vet I work for has a cat who peed on the car seat right after they brought their daughter home. It was very clearly the cat being unhappy about the baby! Once he adjusted to the fact that this new little person was going to be living with them he went back to using the litter box.

I unfortunately also have to agree that if he really really won't use a litter box, the shelter would not be a great option. He may be adopted out if he uses his box at the shelter, but if he starts urinating around his new home he's going to be right back at the shelter again. And most shelters will only adopt an animal out so many times before they euthanize because of obvious behaviors that make them unsuitable pets for most adopters.

If you can afford it, the invisible fence might be the perfect solution for you to keep your cat outdoors 100% of the time and out of the neighbor's yard. But you will want to go with the Invisible Fence brand, not a cheaper electronic fencing system because the cheaper systems are less adjustable and generally not suited to cats. Also, the branded fence includes several training sessions with a professional to set it up properly and get your cat used to the fence so that it is not a traumatic experience.

Kijiji is another great site, and I've personally found it much better than Craigslist when it comes to animals. Older ones are hard to give away, but as others have mentioned, some farmer would no doubt love to have him. Perhaps advertising at a local feed store?

If you can't build an outdoor run and you do decide to give him away you should go to visit the home he will be going to and make sure it's for real! There are lots of good people out there but also lot's of bad people. Also an outdoor kitty run doesn't have to be huge - 3 to 4 ft wide x 10ft. would be just fine - and having a house in there for him and perches to climb on would be very easy to build and make him happy. If you can have rabbit hutches and other things a cat run should be no problem for you at all.

KCandee

An invisible fence is an awesome idea! Didn't think of that one. And on Craigslist, same as any place where animals are being sold or given away, just use common sense and get some solid information (most people with ill intent will simply not reply once you ask them for even basic information). I'm sure a lot of potential adopters will want some information from a seller too, as people do lie about animals they are trying to rehome, and some gather animals by questionable means and lie about vaccinations and so forth to profit from them. I've driven well over 40 miles before, once to pick up a rat from someone who was looking to rehome. It's often easy to find other things that need to be done father out, especially when you have scattered relatives. I'm pretty sure I'm of sound mind too. Though I do wear a trashbag around and throw cats at people...
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
now this might work! My husband is taking a trip to Oregon Coast/Florence next month. Would you be willing to meet him some place?

Yep. That's quite funny. I'm planning a bachelorette party and we're going to be staying at a beach house in Pacific City on the 18th of June. Let me know what his dates are and he could cozy on up at the Lazy Excess Ranch!

Back
Top Bottom