Lspears218

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Hello-

Recently I have noticed one of my chicks has a growth on its beak. It is hard and feels the same as its beak. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Any info will help, thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3824.jpeg
    IMG_3824.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3825.jpeg
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 14
Hello-

Recently I have noticed one of my chicks has a growth on its beak. It is hard and feels the same as its beak. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Any info will help, thank you !
It looks like part of her beak got splintered off and healed upwards like that maybe?
I'd probably just take some dog nail clippers and snip it off.

It looks like a keratin horn- an overgrowth of keratin cells. Could develop after an injury and/or genetically prone. They are usually not vascular and can be filed or gently trimmed. If the base is at a vascular source such as edge of nostril/beak interface then be careful not to cut nonkeratinized tissue- better to use an emery board.

It looks like a keratin horn- an overgrowth of keratin cells. Could develop after an injury and/or genetically prone. They are usually not vascular and can be filed or gently trimmed. If the base is at a vascular source such as edge of nostril/beak interface then be careful not to cut nonkeratinized tissue- better to use an emery board.
I will use a file to be safe thank you I am glad it isn’t anything too serious.

Back
Top Bottom