Unincorporated Jefferson County, CO

DanicaDream

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Jefferson County, CO
We live in unincorporated Jefferson County, CO. In order to find out if you can have chickens, you have to call the zoning office, give your address, and they tell you whether or not you're allowed to have chickens based on the zoning of your address. Our address is not zoned for chickens. Which is really ridiculous because our lot size is larger than many lots in cities that allow chickens. And, many of the incorporated cities in Jefferson County actually allow chickens. So there doesn't seem to be a consistent standard applied to everyone.

I know a lot of people in our area who are keeping them illegally. Personally, I don't want to go that route, although if hubby has his way, that's what will happen.

So I decided that I am going to work on getting things changed. No clue how to do that yet, but I'm going to be reading the articles listed, and hopefully they will give me some ideas. I'm also hoping to connect with others in my area who have similar interests, and maybe we can make it so everyone who wants them can have chickens, not just the ones willing to break the law.

Danica

sounds like maybe you just have an outdated situation. maybe get a "portfolio" together to give to the board members. show them nice coops, educate them on eggs w/no roosters, and examples of cities large & small w/ chicken ordinances. maybe find an ordinance you like & submit it so they have a blueprint to go by.

Hi Danica, just saw your post from May and was wondering if you have made any headway? I too live in unincorporated Jefferson County, CO and would love to have a few chickens. When I called zoning, the lady looked up my address and told me I couldn't. But she further explained that when the laws were written for the "planned neighborhoods" in unincorporated Jefferson County, they failed to mention ANYTHING about chickens. So it doesn't actually say if you can or can't; there is actually nothing written on the subject of chickens at all. When I sounded a bit excited about this (assuming that maybe indeed I could have chickens since they don't say we can't), she said that it would actually have to be STATED that we CAN have chickens. But as my neighbor pointed out... we don't govern by the laws that aren't written. I would love to hear an update from you and maybe get involved in seeing what we can do to get this changed.

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Sorry, I just saw this today... I haven't made any headway. I can't find anyone in Jefferson county who will even talk to me. I'd really like to do something, but not sure what to do next.

Danica

Really great news!! Jefferson county is looking at making these changes! I talked to one of the zoning people, who is going to let me look at the draft resolution sometime next month. They will probably be having the hearing in March.

If anyone is interested in the information when I get it, I'll post it.

Danica

I also live in unincorporated Jeferson county. I called the zoning office and they said my property is zoned as R1B which doesn't currently allow chickens. My wife and I would like to legally own two or 3 chickens, build a small fenced in area and chicken coop, etc. If you got the draft resolution I would love to see that information. If there is anything we can do to help/support the cause let us know what we can do.

I don't have any new information yet, but when I do, I will post it. Definitely send a letter to the county commissioners expressing your support of changing the chicken laws. :)

I called a week or so ago, and the lady I talked to said they should have an answer by march 23rd... It's completely ridiculous that homes in much more populated/urban areas can have chickens, but we can't in our area. Does anyone know if they're having any meetings or anything about this? I'd love to go share my thoughts but I can't seem to find any info about the whole thing... Thanks!

We're in UJ and have a few ladies on the property. Someone recently bought a house in the area and promptly called the Sheriff to complain about our chickens. We were sent a notice from the County, "Get rid of the chickens or pay a $500 fine." When we called, we were told we were one of three houses in the neighborhood not zoned for chickens. The day we were getting ready to transport our ladies to their new home (about two weeks ago) the county called back and told us not to worry about the chickens because the laws were about to change and we should be receiving notification of this in the mail shortly.

Back
Top Bottom