Union, il backyard chicken policy

Bre Ocampo

Hatching
Nov 2, 2018
my family is considering moving to Union IL. I know agriculture zones can have chickens but anyone aware of residential zones?

I really don't want to move if I can't have my chickens

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated

Hmmmm... I can understand your situation. Try to find an apartment or neighborhood that allows pets. Chickens as pets are growing, so that means there's more neighborhoods that allow chickens in your backyard.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You can contact zoning and get a copy of the ordinances for the areas you think you might want to live. It's better to know up front than to break the ordinances and have to get rid your beloved pets.

Good luck!

Hmmmm... I can understand your situation. Try to find an apartment or neighborhood that allows pets. Chickens as pets are growing, so that means there's more neighborhoods that allow chickens in your backyard.

Just to clarify, an apartment that has a pet friendly policy usually would NOT include chickens. Smaller dogs, cats, that would be typical. Large dogs or "dangerous" breeds might not even be allowed.

Most neighborhoods allow pets within reason. But chickens are poultry, regardless of how you personally feel about yours. It's not the same.

For chickens I would call the zoning department of the city you're interested in moving to, and find out exactly what is and is not allowed. Also keep in mind HOAs can be even more restrictive, so you really need to look at this from a lot by lot basis. When I was looking for a house I looked up the zoning ordinance for my specific property before we made an offer.

Back
Top Bottom