unjured chicken - help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chookydeb, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Chookydeb

Chookydeb Out Of The Brooder

i've just noticed i've got an injured chicken, i first noticed because she was sitting down and had laid a half formed egg, when i picked her up i noticed she has a wound on her back, down to the bone but not too big, about the size of the end of my finger, it looks like a puncture wound, it had some feathers stuck in it so i've pulled them away and the wound looks clean and not too major

what do i do?

2. Chookydeb

****, cant spell for $hit when i'm stressed

3. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Flush it out good with saline or a betadine tea solution. Pat dry with something that won't leave fuzz stuck to wound and then apply ichthammol or some type of drawing salve or triple antibiotic ointment.

4. Chookydeb

thanks

would being attacked make her lay a wonky egg? she's got some discharge from her bum too

5. kendalkid

kendalkid New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    it's possible. I've had three badly injured chickens and and they all pulled through.. one had broken leg and all three had ripped skin. I put on neosporin and kept them in my room under lamp, lots of food and water and they are fine now.

6. ninjagirl

Sep 2, 2012
    Anything's possible. Is the entire egg out? Might it have broken inside her when the attack occured?

7. Chookydeb

the egg is out, it was soft and leathery, no shell at all

i cleaned it out with saline, plucked out the fethers around the wound and dusted it some antibiotic powder, there seems to be a piece of skin missing about the size of a penny, what worried me though was when i picked her up again air whooshed out of the wound

8. Chookydeb

the wound is right in the middle of her back just below where the wings joint

9. ninjagirl

Sep 2, 2012
    To be honest, it is amazing how quickly chickens recover. My brother still has a RSL that suffered a dog attack 2 years ago. Flushed out a 4 inch gash under her wing and smeared it with honey because that is all he had at his place and she is fine now. Actually laid an egg a few days later. Keep it clean and she should be ok.

10. Chookydeb

ok, i'll quit stressing, what will be will be i guess - she's tucked up in a corner of the coop and she seems alert but she's not eating, i'll just leave her in peace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by