Unknown affliction??

Chickmunk

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 20, 2015
Oklahoma
Can anyone tell me what this is? This poor hen is suffering from yellow black scabbed wounds on her face and appears to be having a bit of trouble breathing correctly due to a sort of mucus in her mouth. I have provided pictures, ones I admit are blurry, but she wouldn't hold still.

Hi

I have no personal experience of it (not sure if we get it here in the UK) but my guess would be fowl pox. Can't advise you on how to treat it but if you do a search on it on the forum here I'm sure you will find lots of useful info. It might even be wet pox if she has lesions in her mouth and throat.

Good luck with treating her.

Thank you, I'll try whatever I can to help her as this is all new to me even after five years of raising them! This hen is my favorite and I would be very disappointed to see her die at only three years old!

Can anyone tell me what this is? This poor hen is suffering from yellow black scabbed wounds on her face and appears to be having a bit of trouble breathing correctly due to a sort of mucus in her mouth. I have provided pictures, ones I admit are blurry, but she wouldn't hold still.

I have used Baytril anitbiotic, can you get some penicillian? She is pus filled. Oh poor thing, I have used iodine on the scabs and the pus. Using a cottonball saturated with the iodine. Also Neosporin cleaning twice a day and giving Nutri Drench and Pedialyte to keep her going. Also look in her mouth for the pus if she has it in her mouth she will need Baytril or another antibiotic. Keep her warm and under a red light. Put the liquids in a syringe pull up the liquid and slowly put it into her mouth. If she goes down hill by not eating she will have to be tubed.

@casportpony , unfortunately, I'm as close to vet as my mom will allow. She doesn't feel that paying for a chicken's vet expenses is necessary.

@mg15 , she's doing a bit better, and she's gobbling up all the eggs I give her, but now she has a buddy who has it as well. My mom is going to get a vaccine for the healthy ones, which I will have the privilege to do myself, as I'm set on being a veterinarian, so I'm a bit excited to do that. I've got some iodine for her facial wounds, but I was advised to use a teaspoon of the iodine per gallon of water as well?? But the bottle says harmful or fatal if swallowed, so I'm a bit confused. She's got heat, clean bedding every few days, plenty of fresh water, and lots of scrambled eggs to eat, as well as company and competition to get her to eat as fast as she can before it's gone. She does have some yellowish substance in her mouth, which I'm assuming is from the wet pox, but I'm not sure how I should treat it. The wounds on her face aren't near as yellow, and they've formed black scabs now, and she's still breathing pretty well, and eating and drinking. I've been examining all of my flock's faces at night to see if they've got signs, but so far, I've only found the two, and they've been removed immediately.

Back
Top Bottom