Unknown cause

joboa22

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 14, 2015
Shropshire
Hi all. I've had chickens for many years. However I'm a but muddled on why I've lost half a dozen hens in last 10 days.
My hens are Commercial browns I brought as day old chick's from a reputable dealer and they are vaccinated. They are now about 14 months old and are laying amazingly huge eggs. And that's where my problem is. I've had six hens die . There back ends are very bloody. No other signs of I'll health and although back end bloody there was no prolapse visible. They are not egg bound as there is no egg inside dead hen. A few eggs have blood on them too.
They now free range since lock down ended . They have corn/layers daily. Grit and a pecking block is also available.
My husband works for a vet locally and unfortunately non deal with poultry . We've got a appointment midweek next week but does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions xxx

I’m sorry to hear this is happening.
I’m not sure what the issue could be.
You don’t by chance have them running with ducks, do you?
No. I just have no idea. It's like in my mind the egg is too huge. The only thing that's changed is now they have layers x

It sounds like they are vent pecking each other which can end up as cannibalism. Causes (possible) are too little room in their coop, not getting out enough to free range, hens possibly having a temporary prolapse during egg laying which can attract pecking, too much light, and not feeding enough protein in the diet. What are you feeding? How much room do they have?

It sounds like they are vent pecking each other which can end up as cannibalism. Causes (possible) are too little room in their coop, not getting out enough to free range, hens possibly having a temporary prolapse during egg laying which can attract pecking, too much light, and not feeding enough protein in the diet. What are you feeding? How much room do they have?
During the night there having half a barn and then are free to roam 3 acres. In lockdown we kept them in the barn. It's only the last 2-3 weeks this has been happening. The eggs they lay are huge and they are fed incredibly well , layers and corn daily also separately grit plus a pecking block. My friends looked at them she says same as me eggs are huge . But the dead hen has not visible prolapse x

They can have a small prolapse as the egg is being laid and it goes back in once the egg is out. Not that this is what caused the vent pecking, but possible. Corn will bring down the percentage of protein that you are feeding. I would cut it out or way down, since they need that 16% protein in the layer feed. Hopefully the vent pecking will stop now that they are going out more.

Back
Top Bottom