Unknown chicken just showed up? Help with behavior

Aamanda

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Linn Creek, MO
Hope Im postin in the right spot. Two days ago I saw somethin in the woods on my property. Upon investigation turned out to be a strange chicken. We live on 130 acres and even my closest neighbors dont have chickens. From the owlish face im guessing its an "easter egger" looks like a hen around 8 months old. Any way Any ideas how far these can travel? Another idea was it was dropped by a hawk. Havent found an owner yet. The poor thing is scared to death!! We got it in the coop the first day and locked it in. Then it spent the night with my flock and was let out with them the next morn. It stays away from them and wont come close even when I throw out scratch. However it did go back in the coop last night. It is always the last chicken out in the morn staying inside for about an hour before coming out. Same this morning. She does not try to hang out with any other chickens and wont let me any where near her. Do you think she will settle down soon? With she integrate into my flock? She shows no signs of molt so guessing under a year old. Ill try to get picks later isf she will let me.
Ok here are some pics. Not the best cus i had my camera on super zoom and hard to hold the camera real still.

Last edited:
Sounds as if she has had a rough time of it. I can only imagine what she may have been through before arriving at your place. As long as your chickens are allowing her to eat all should be fine. Once she feels secure, she will calm down.

My flock free ranges all day so she is out doing the same. She has a little "hidey spot" she likes to hang out in. Seems she is getting closer to the flock today but does not interact. My flock acts like she is invisible unless they get to close. Then I have two that chase her. I have food out in the coop overnight and for the morning but im not sure if she eats it or not. I throw scratch out for my flock once a day and scraps once a day. She doesnt seem interested and even the "Here Chick chick chick" doesnt faze her at all lol. I feel so sorry for her!! I hope she can calm down and trust me some. Oh...She does make some sort of "growling" noise when one of the others gets too close. She runs from my 10 week old RIR's but stands up to my 8 month old Buff Orp.

Chickens on nests make that growling sound when something gets close or mothers only... how does she reacts while doing that noise... she is still young but very beautiful color.... easter egger maybe or some green/blue/olive layer..... she is still new don't worry.... lucky you.... I wish something like that would come over lol....

She is in feral mode. My games can do it easily. They get to point that they act like pheasant and fly off in a similar manner. They are very easy to tame back down. Take small amounts of feed to her location once a day making sure she sees you. She will shortly start to approach you.

Chickens on nests make that growling sound when something gets close or mothers only... how does she reacts while doing that noise... she is still young but very beautiful color.... easter egger maybe or some green/blue/olive layer..... she is still new don't worry.... lucky you.... I wish something like that would come over lol....
When she does that she is usually just standing. No fluffed up feathers or anything. I kinda feel like she is telling me or the other chicken to stay away. I just walk easy and talk low and calm to her. Tonight i was actually within 5 feet of her when we "herded" her into the yard and she went right into the coop. She has still not figured out to follow the other chickens through the hole in the fence that brings them to the coop so we just walk behind and to the side of her calmly to push her forward till she finds it. I am glad to have her just sad of how she must have felt out in the woods alone at least one night.

She is in feral mode. My games can do it easily. They get to point that they act like pheasant and fly off in a similar manner. They are very easy to tame back down. Take small amounts of feed to her location once a day making sure she sees you. She will shortly start to approach you.
Thank you!! I do put out food for her but she wont touch it. Usually cus i cant get close enough to her and by the time im far enough away the other chickens have gotten to it. I am just hopefull she will atleast get tame enough to come into the yard on her own. I have a fence of hog wire but part is open to allow the chickens to run the full property. Course they dont go to far lol. But she cant seem to figure out how to get back in once she is out. Tonight though i was pleased to see her going up and down the fence trying to get in. Progress!!!!

I have 4 Easter eggers that I raised from chicks ..they were timid and skidish til they started squatting ..now all but one will let me touch them ..the last isn't laying yet so there's still hope for her too..
Is your chicken laying yet..what age do you guess

Back
Top Bottom