Unknown chicken just showed up? Help with behavior

I have 4 Easter eggers that I raised from chicks ..they were timid and skidish til they started squatting ..now all but one will let me touch them ..the last isn't laying yet so there's still hope for her too..
Is your chicken laying yet..what age do you guess
Im gonna GUESS around 8 or 9 months. Pretty sure under a year because she shows no sign of moulting. However if she was laying before this she would probably stop due to stress.

Regarding unknown chickens, I had a crazy experience about three years ago.

I live on a double lot on a corner. The street on the "back" side is a dead end into a creek. People can enter my property on the back side. The chicken yard, fenced in, is accessible. I never locked it as I never had a reason to, until this happened:

I was working from home. My office was on the second floor. After a while I took a break and went down to see my little girls.

I looked around to see them, and Hanna Banana looked a little more yellow than usual. Then I saw Hanna Banana. So, who was this?

All I could figure out is that someone dropped off this chicken at my house while I was working upstairs. Never heard a word, didn't know how long she had been running around with my other girls. Fortunately she is a hen and fortunately she was sick.

So "No Name" has been part of my flock for while.

Now I lock the gate. Don't need people dropping of chickens in my yard. I'm glad she found a home and I was lucky this time.

Regarding unknown chickens, I had a crazy experience about three years ago.

I live on a double lot on a corner. The street on the "back" side is a dead end into a creek. People can enter my property on the back side. The chicken yard, fenced in, is accessible. I never locked it as I never had a reason to, until this happened:

I was working from home. My office was on the second floor. After a while I took a break and went down to see my little girls.

I looked around to see them, and Hanna Banana looked a little more yellow than usual. Then I saw Hanna Banana. So, who was this?

All I could figure out is that someone dropped off this chicken at my house while I was working upstairs. Never heard a word, didn't know how long she had been running around with my other girls. Fortunately she is a hen and fortunately she was sick.

So "No Name" has been part of my flock for while.

Now I lock the gate. Don't need people dropping of chickens in my yard. I'm glad she found a home and I was lucky this time.
I had that happen a lot when i lived more "urban" but heck....i live very rural now. No one got past my dogs lol. They stay out at night. And I was worried about this one having something my flock could get cut down with but heck....No way could i let it stay out at night. It would be a death sentence. Sure it made it one night. (I think) but no way two. Specially with my dogs out at night when the chicks are shut up. We have a pack of coyotes that run through every few nights. A fox that dens somewhere round here. Plus the rest of the rural Missouri critters. I think im gonna name her "Chicken" lol cus she sure is!! But who can blame her?

The reason I asked how old the op found chicken is..my ee are 6 months old and all their faces are deep red or redish pink

Yep..red is right...hows she acting today...I'd just give her time to acclimate to her new home..just keep an eye on her

She seems to be coming around!!! Im updating her progress on this post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/833462/chicken-just-showed-up/10#post_12216029
Check it out.
big_smile.png
. Im gonna update it again tonight after they go in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom