Unknown Escape Routes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dimetrex, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Dimetrex

Dimetrex Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    I have recently introduced my former coop-and-run chickens to a large fenced in area. They were doing nicely until I found one outside the enclosure. This has kept happening, and I have tried several attempts to solve it. I lowered the fence's lower clearance and clipped the chickens' wings. It has not helped. Two hens have already been lost to this. What can I do to stop them from escaping? The fence is completely holeless and is four feet tall (once again, the chickens are clipped.); its lower clearance ranges from one to two inches off the ground. Also, there are no large objects for them to launch off of inside the area besides the nine foot tall coop.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

4 feet tall is kind of low for a chicken fence, many chickens with their wings clipped can still fly over a 6 foot tall fence! Clipping a chicken's wings isn't all that effective, try raising the fence height to 8 feet if you can. Otherwise I would suggest putting some netting on top of their run to prevent them from escaping. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Well if there is no way they can get under it than they must be going over it. Also check the gap where your gate is.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's too short to keep birds in or predators out

5. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    I hope you only clipped one wing.

Four feet works for us although we had escapees when we first penned them up after free-ranging andd once in a long while it still happens. Mostly they have accepted it as home. I think if it were a smaller area and the grass looked better on the other side, we'd have a problem.

6. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    My run fence is only 4 feet, and they know its home and stay in for the most part. One side of the run is our neighbors chain link fence and I used some netting at an angle from the top of the fence in towards the run. Like a hockey stick, easy and cheep fix to keep them from going into the wrong yard if they do decide to explore. This has been very effective and was installed a bit too late for 2 of our hens.

We clip our girls wings but still have one stubborn pullet that sleeps in a tree in the run well over my head. I have to use a ladder to get her down, and did everynight for about a month and have just given up on getting her to sleep in the coop. Meh.

7. Dimetrex

Dimetrex Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Thanks so much for your input! As well as keeping the wings clipped, I have raised the fence to 7 1/2 feet. There have been no escapees.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool Beans...thanks for coming back and following up, it will help others looking for this info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by