Unknown gender AND breed...Help!

Tinychicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Hillsboro KS
Hey all!
I purchased this chicken as an EE pullet several weeks ago. Well, I don't think it's an EE anymore, and I don't even know what breed or mix it could be.

I hope it's not a rooster because then that's two surprise roosters I gotta find homes for! This was sold to me by an individual breeder who assured me of it's pullet-ness.

The chicken-in-question is the black and red one in the middle of both pics. (not the black and red one with white!) Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its a roo just yet. Yes the tail feathers look a little long but we should be able to tell with a closer hindquarter shot. And it could be a hen with really a really large comb. It looks a LOT like my black sex link hens but the color isn't quite right, probably a mix breed. Could you get a closer tail/rump shot?

Thank you for the reply. I can try to get a better shot, but this chicken must have not had much of a tail to begin with, maybe got pulled out after the first feathering (one of my faverolles was like that). Right now she/he has a few blueish metallic feathers, which are really throwing me for a loop!
I think if it's a girl it could be a mix with copper maran or it looks close to black rock hen?

Back
Top Bottom