Unknown Illness

Allie44820

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2016
I have 4 chickens, 2 years old, had them since day 1, live on Long Island, NY. About 6 weeks ago I noticed 1 hen, Spirulina, with puffed feathers and not moving much, just standing, My initial theory was egg bound because she laid day before and was a consistent layer. I found an Avian vet and took her in, examination was she was not egg bound and no obvious signs of illness. 2 weeks went by and she had slightly improved, no eggs, but was showing normal behavior. We did a blood panel and tested stool (negative). Blood panel was high white blood cells (chronic infection and bacterial, she prescribed antibiotics) and low red blood cells (she was given 3 iron injections 1 week apart). Steady improvement except for weight. 1st visit she was 2.0 kg, then 1.6 kg, 1.45 kg and today she is 1.4kg. After the last iron injection we did another blood panel and her white is perfect, normal spleen and liver functions, but red is even lower. She prescribed dewormer because somehow she is still losing blood. We don't have a definite answer yet. She is active, chirps, forages, eats normal, feathers are good, stool has improved (it was runny in beginning normal now) no issues with getting along with the others. She is the only one with symptoms. What are your thoughts? Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_1049[1].JPG
    IMG_1049[1].JPG
    655.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    840.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    566.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    732.5 KB · Views: 4
I have 4 chickens, 2 years old, had them since day 1, live on Long Island, NY. About 6 weeks ago I noticed 1 hen, Spirulina, with puffed feathers and not moving much, just standing, My initial theory was egg bound because she laid day before and was a consistent layer. I found an Avian vet and took her in, examination was she was not egg bound and no obvious signs of illness. 2 weeks went by and she had slightly improved, no eggs, but was showing normal behavior. We did a blood panel and tested stool (negative). Blood panel was high white blood cells (chronic infection and bacterial, she prescribed antibiotics) and low red blood cells (she was given 3 iron injections 1 week apart). Steady improvement except for weight. 1st visit she was 2.0 kg, then 1.6 kg, 1.45 kg and today she is 1.4kg. After the last iron injection we did another blood panel and her white is perfect, normal spleen and liver functions, but red is even lower. She prescribed dewormer because somehow she is still losing blood. We don't have a definite answer yet. She is active, chirps, forages, eats normal, feathers are good, stool has improved (it was runny in beginning normal now) no issues with getting along with the others. She is the only one with symptoms. What are your thoughts? Thank you for any input.
She looks good for low blood. I'd expect a pale face when there's blood loss, since the face, comb, & wattles are very vascular structures of the body.

Was she check for hook worm, or foreign body?

All I was told was that there is no parasites in her stool. Let’s say there was hookworms would the dewormer take care of that? She’s on Moxidectin, 2 doses 2 weeks apart. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom