Unknown sickness

Your vet said to give vitamins along with corid?
I have already stated that above. So I am not sure why you didn't read throughly before commenting. It doesn't help anyone if the same comment has to be repeated. Plus end of the day my chicken is doing amazing so clearly not wrong information from a vet.

I have already stated that above. So I am not sure why you didn't read throughly before commenting. It doesn't help anyone if the same comment has to be repeated. Plus end of the day my chicken is doing amazing so clearly not wrong information from a vet.
No need to be rude.
No, It wasn't perfectly clear from your statement, that's why I asked, I wanted to be sure of the facts.
Anyone with any experience with coccidiosis and corid would tell you to complete the recommended corid dosing for the next few weeks, then start a round of vitamins to perk the bird back up.
Coccidiosis thrives off of thiamine (b1) in birds system, Corid (amprollium) is a thiamine inhibitor, it starves the coccidia and the low coccidia numbers allows the bird to develop immunity for that particular strain.
Giving vitamins along with the corid, cancels out the affects of corid and possibly adds fuel for the fire. Coccidiosis can kill and it can also cause chronic nutrition absorption and growth issues since it damages the G I.
I recommend your vet do a little more reading before making any further recommendations for coccidiosis treatment, at least where it comes to poultry. Most vets don't have much experience with treating poultry and birds, it's just not commonly taught, which is a pity.
The vitamins mixture may have perked her up but as I said before, if it is coccidiosis, I'd cut the vitamins out and make sure to complete the corid regime before giving vitamins again.
Here's the dosages and duration of corid treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/
If it was just vitamin deficiency from this time of year/molting/diet etc, vitamins are the right track.

No need to be rude.
No, It wasn't perfectly clear from your statement, that's why I asked, I wanted to be sure of the facts.
Anyone with any experience with coccidiosis and corid would tell you to complete the recommended corid dosing for the next few weeks, then start a round of vitamins to perk the bird back up.
Coccidiosis thrives off of thiamine (b1) in birds system, Corid (amprollium) is a thiamine inhibitor, it starves the coccidia and the low coccidia numbers allows the bird to develop immunity for that particular strain.
Giving vitamins along with the corid, cancels out the affects of corid and possibly adds fuel for the fire. Coccidiosis can kill and it can also cause chronic nutrition absorption and growth issues since it damages the G I.
I recommend your vet do a little more reading before making any further recommendations for coccidiosis treatment, at least where it comes to poultry. Most vets don't have much experience with treating poultry and birds, it's just not commonly taught, which is a pity.
The vitamins mixture may have perked her up but as I said before, if it is coccidiosis, I'd cut the vitamins out and make sure to complete the corid regime before giving vitamins again.
Here's the dosages and duration of corid treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/
If it was just vitamin deficiency from this time of year/molting/diet etc, vitamins are the right track.
Well I wasn't being rude nor did I ask for an essay on how to treat a animal that a licensed veteran has looked over and gave me a corse of treatment. I posted above because she was not available. I did was what recommended above but she recommended this as well. Her family have been our vets since I was a child and never gave bad advice nor intentionally harmed an animal. You can be happy that she is on the mend like the rest.

Back
Top Bottom